Booked for July 2008 in Tanzania

Jul 11th, 2007, 09:16 AM
Original Poster

Booked for July 2008 in Tanzania

Phew! After posting a couple of different itineraries on the forum, I have finally booked my trip for next year - with yet a different itinerary. Originally we thought we'd do both Kenya and Tanzania and came up with a great itinerary which was more than our budget could tolerate, so we're back to a Tanzania (only) itinerary that I'm really happy with....

Day 1: Arrival day in Arusha. Overnight Arumeru Lodge.
Day 2: Arusha National Park. Drive to West Kili. Overnight Hemingways Camp.
Day 3: West Kili. Overnight Hemingways.
Day 4: Tarangire National Park. Overnight River Camp.
Day 5: Tarangire. Overnight River Camp.
Day 6: Ngorongoro. Overnight Serena.
Day 7: Ngorongoro. Overnight Serena.
Day 8: Western Serengeti. Overnight Mbalageti.
Day 9: Western Serengeti. Overnight Mbalageti.
Day 10: Northern Serengeti. Overnight Sayari.
Day 11: Northern Serengeti. Overnight Sayari.
Day 12: Central Serengeti. Overnight Mbuzi Mawe.
Day 13: Lake Manyara. Overnight Kirurumu.
Day 14: Arusha. Overnight Karama.
Day 15: departure day

We'll have a couple of long drives which is not an issue for us. They'll be interspersed with cultural experiences.

We now have just under a year to wait. T...I...C...K!!
Jul 11th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Congrats! Looks great. I'm just getting started on my 2008 trip.
Jul 11th, 2007, 09:51 AM

Looks like a great itinerary! We did the Crater and Lake Manyara last year and it was wonderful. While you are in Arusha, take and hour or two and do the Masaii Market for great crafts and gift - and haggling over prices. Good things and much better prices than the shops near the parks. Enjoy!! It's an amazing place...
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:06 AM

Calo, when exactly are you going? Our itinerary has us in Tanzania in late June and early July, including several days at Sayari and I wanted to see if we might be overlapping.

Chris
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:17 AM

Grrrreat itinerary. I'm envious!
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:37 AM
Original Poster

Chris, we'll be at Sayari on July 16 & 17 next year. I tried to find your itinerary but didn't see it. When will you be at Sayari? I'm really looking forward to our stay there. When we were at Lobo last year we got up to the Bologonja Gate, but I think actually staying up north will be wonderful, especially on the river! It's absolutely beautiful up there.
Jul 11th, 2007, 10:39 AM

We will be there about 10 days earlier than you -- approx. July 3-5 or something right around then. Sorry we will miss you!

Chris
Jul 11th, 2007, 06:33 PM

Cslo, we just returned from our first Africa trip and I am already planning the next one. I do have the bug.

We think we will go to Tanzania this time. We probably will not go until 2009 but I am curious how much this trip cost for 2008 without airfare.

Thanks
Jul 11th, 2007, 08:12 PM
Original Poster

spiegelcjs, glad to hear you had such a good trip! So often we read on the forum about those who plan the trip of a lifetime only to be bitten by the bug and return over and over again.

We're each paying US$5100 for our itinerary which of course could be reduced considerably depending on choice of accommodations. We are not lodge types, so have opted for some $$$ tented camps. On the other hand, I consider what we're getting for that (all accommodations, all meals, private vehicle and guide, unlimited mileage etc) very good value.
Jul 12th, 2007, 08:40 PM

What tour company did you book with as I'm trying to plan a similar trip for that same time of year? Thanks.
Jul 12th, 2007, 10:37 PM

Calo, that sounds like a great price considering our South Africa trip was twice that amount. I do not like lodges either and prefer tented permanent camps. I will up some of these to see what they look like.

Yes I definitely have the bug. Evem my DH who went on this trip because I said I was going with or without, has been raving to everyone we speak with.
Jul 13th, 2007, 04:58 AM

You are covering the Serengeti nicely. A great trip to look forward to.
Jul 13th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Original Poster

Patty - where are you headed in 2008? Tanzania? It's such fun planning!

WaterGirl - I missed the Masai Market last year so will try to fit it in this time. Thanks for the tip.

hymjr - I've booked with Warrior Trails out of Arusha.

spiegelcjs - I wish I could get my hubby to go with me. I think he's warming to the idea, so by the time I'm planning my umteenth trip, maybe he'll come on board

Lynn and Leely - I've been planning this trip since I got on the plane to come home from the last one.
Jul 13th, 2007, 10:47 AM

We'll be in Kenya mostly and maybe some Tanzania. I really don't know yet! The only definite right now is Tsavo.
Jul 13th, 2007, 01:37 PM
Original Poster

Patty, I've wanted to see Mzima Springs in Tsavo ever since I saw the National Geographic special on them. I hope you get there!
Jul 14th, 2007, 02:51 PM

what airline did you fly?
Jul 14th, 2007, 06:55 PM
Original Poster

I assume you're asking me, amolinaro? We're in Canada, so we flew Air Canada to London, then Kenya Airways to Nairobi. We took a shuttle bus from Nairobi to Arusha. For our return, we flew Kenya Airways from Arusha to Nairobi and Nairobi to London, then Air Canada home from there.
Jul 17th, 2007, 01:03 PM

Calo,
I like the itinerary except for the River Camp. We were somewhat disspointed in this place last week. i should have stayed in the park at the Tarangire Safari camp pr similar place. The River camp is outside of the park so there is a bit of a drive to get back to you camp. This was the only thing I might have changed from our trip. It as also a little let down from our other tented camps.

enjoy,
Duane
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:06 PM

Tarangire River Camp is lovely and only about 3km (2/miles) from the park entrance. Besides, the tents are larger and better appointed than the rather small tents at the much larger Tarangire Safari Lodge. The view, however, from Tarangire Safari Lodge is amazing.
Jul 17th, 2007, 03:12 PM
Original Poster

Duane, we actually chose to stay at the River Camp because we liked it so well last year. As Sandi says, it's not far from the park entrance at all. I don't like the close proximity of the tents at the Safari Lodge.

In fact, we've made a change to our itinerary from the River Camp to Boundary Hill. Our guide has suggested we try it this year. I like that the lodge has 50% Masai ownership, and reports on the forum are positive. So, we're giving up the River Camp (which we love) to try Boundary Hill next year. We'll be able to do night drives and Masai walks too.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy -

FODOR'S VIDEO