Book late - pay extra for aisle or emergency row

Mar 14th, 2006, 07:22 AM
Original Poster

Book late - pay extra for aisle or emergency row

Northwest just announced 15USD extra charge for certain aisle and exit row seats. They will reserve them until 24 hours before the flight (36 if you're a WorldPerks silver or above) and then open them up. Before that time you can pay 15USD extra to reserve them for yourself.

Would you pay the extra $15? I know I would on certain flights (over 1.5 to 2.0 hours or so).
Mar 14th, 2006, 07:37 AM

Yes
Mar 14th, 2006, 09:45 AM

Me too.
Mar 14th, 2006, 10:37 AM
sandi

My understanding from the online details what that this was domestic flights only.

But if for International, what's another $15 for an aisle seat, considering what you're already paying for the trip in total. Personally I don't like the emergency exit or bulkhead seats.

Mar 14th, 2006, 12:22 PM

Oh GOD yes.

$15 is nothing.

Virgin charge £50 UK one way for those now...
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:16 PM
Original Poster

sandi - I got it in an information feed from our travel office. It doesn't say anything about domestic vs international. You're certainly more in the know, so I'm sure you're right.

My reaction was the same as yours Kavey. It seems so cheap. The first thing I thought was, at 15USD, how long will it take to recoup the cost of all the ticketing and booking systems programming changes and employee training before they really start to benefit from the extra dollars??
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:28 PM
sandi

Favor -

I could absolutely be wrong, or misunderstood. Will read again. Regardless, the airlines are all nickle 'n diming, wherever they can.

Kavey -

I heard also that Virgin was adding this feel but didn't think it would be that high!

Mar 14th, 2006, 01:35 PM

It's a 30-60 day test program that started today. Applies to domestic flights only.

The downside is that these seats were previously available to NW Worldperks elite members for free at the time of booking and now they'll have to wait until the 36 hour mark and pay $15 per segment for one of these seats.

Non-elite members were previously only able to get these seats at airport check-in (I believe) but can now pay extra for them when checking in online at the 24 hour mark.

Not sure if it will stick around.
Mar 14th, 2006, 01:38 PM

VS has been charging 75 USD/50 GBP for economy exit row seats for years, but the difference is that VS doesn't charge their elite frequent flyers.
Mar 15th, 2006, 01:40 AM

Charging extra for an aisle seat - sounds ridiculous considering EACH row has 2 aisle seats (4 in widebodies)
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:05 AM

Charging extra for ordinary aisle seats does sound crazy - I haven't come across that.

Virgin's charge is for emergency exit row seats as they have significantly more legroom.
Mar 15th, 2006, 03:12 AM
sandi

Received the NW newsletter and the details are as Patty mentions above - currently a test program and not all those many seats. So we'll see.

Mar 15th, 2006, 06:39 AM

I copied this from a post on the Airlines board, thought you guys might get a kick out of it -

http://www.sterlingticket.com/home/d...enskeplads.htm

Extra charges for every conceivable seating request! Want an aisle seat, a seat in the front, a seat in the back, a seat next to your traveling companion?
Mar 15th, 2006, 06:57 AM

I'd definitely go for the emergency exit seats for $15--what a difference!

I just saw an full-length, inflatable air cushion that's called something like "First Class Comfort". It provides full-body support in a reclined position at a reasonable price. That and the $15 seat in the Emergency Exit Seats would be like FC or BC at a fraction of the price!

Search this Thread