Book a guide before you go or not?

Oct 1st, 2004, 04:18 AM
Original Poster

Book a guide before you go or not?

We will be visiting Cairo in November and our first night will be staying a the Pyramids Park Hotel for one night. As we get in late and would like to make the most of the following day I have spoken to the hotel about organising a tour. I have no idea if the prices quoted are good or bad but sound very reasobable to me. 23$ for transport and entrance to the pyraminds and sphinx and $20 for a guide for 2 people. Do you think we need this and should it be booked in advance. Also what time does anyone think we should set out bearing in mind will will be coming in later the night before. Thanks for any advice
Oct 1st, 2004, 07:20 AM

Lucky you going to the pyramids. I just got back and posted my experience in Cairo under Trip Report:Cairo.

I am not sure if you have to book in advance, you might as well so you do not have to scramble and waste the morning setting things up etc. especially if you get in late. We headed off to the pyramids around 10 am but I am sure it is better to go earlier to miss the heat (we were there in sept.) and it was hot around 11-12pm. and the earlier you set out the more you can do in the afternoon. But we just could not be bothered on vacation to get up at the crack of dawn, which is also supposed to be a wonderful sight to behold.

Is the Pyramids Park Hotel near the Pyramids as the name suggests? In which case, $23 for transport and entrance seems high. Just for your reference, we had a taxi for the day going from center of Cairo to the pyramids for 30 LE ($5-6). And entrance to the pyramids and sphinx are one ticket I believe not two seperate tickets. We did not have a guide so we paid much much less than what you are being quoted.

Search this Thread