Bon Voyage Big Country!

Jan 7th, 2005, 02:10 AM
Original Poster

Bon Voyage Big Country!

>Author: bigcountry
Date: 12/27/2004, 08:39 am
in january the rates for makololo are very low. i think i am paying $200 pppn. the itinerary wasnt broken down but backing it out its right about 200. i'm also curious to see how many other guests will be there. zim is low to begin with, let alone in jan. so may have the place to ourselves which would be incredible. i'm trying to get my wife to join me on bush walks but i dont think i can convince her. anyway, less than 2 weeks to go. cant wait.

I cannot wait for the report and hopefully photos on this itinerary that includes Makalolo Plains and Mombo. Although prices for Mombo are probably still very high, I am interested in the general overall report on Moremi to see if a January visit (at 50% off rates at many places) would be warranted.

For $200 pppns, Makalolo Plains seems like an absolute steal. You figure that even those of us on the Pacific Coast in the USA, can get to London in January for no more than about $400 pp. Then throw in an $800 flight to Joburg, and a safari for $200 pppns, plus beautiful weather in Cape Town to escape these frigid Los Angeles winters, and it sounds like a marvelous plan.

LAX - London ($400 pp)
London - Joburg, Business Class 80,000 ff miles pp + $100 taxes pp (includes free add-on flight to Cape Town)
2 nights at Westcliff or Michelangelo, Joburg $400 pp
4 nights at Makalolo Plains $800 pp
2 nights at Songwe Village, Vic Falls $500 pp
3 nights at Kwando Kwara $1,200 pp
3 nights at Savuti $1,200 pp?
3 nights at Kwando Lagoon $1,200 pp
Internal flights, etc. $600 pp
4 nights in luxury self-catering apartment at V&A Waterfront Residential $600 pp

For only $7,000 pp, this sounds like an awesome itinerary, if the gameviewing is there.

Westcliff / Michelangelo (2) (Saturday and Sunday night for some Sandton R&R)
Makalolo Plains (4)
Songwe Village (2)
Kwando Lagoon (3)
Savuti (3)
Kwando Kwara (3)
Cape Town (4)

Anyway, have a great trip Big Country and I look forward with great anticipation to your report & photos. BTW, was Mombo full price, even in January?

Thanks.
Jan 7th, 2005, 03:23 AM

im outta here later today. thanks for the good wishes rocco. unfortunately mombo is regular rate all yr round now. last yr i went at the same time for about 60% of what i'm paying now. the only reason i could afford it is bc makololo is so cheap so the average is palatable. stinkin matt lauer did me in anyway i'll post reports and hopefully good pics as soon as i return.
Jan 7th, 2005, 04:48 AM
sandi

bigcountry - give Matt Lauer a break. At least he give those who've never been an idea of what to expect... and for those of us who have been (anywhere the "where in the world.....") goes, an opportunity to remember our own experiences.

Have a great trip, travel safe and report back when home.

Search this Thread