Boma Restaurant

Aug 27th, 2004, 05:36 AM
Original Poster

Boma Restaurant

I'm going to Africa in 5 days and am trying to plan out the first leg of my trip to Victoria Falls on the Zambia side (Royal Livingstone). How realistic is it to have dinner at Boma which is in Zimbabwe? I'm not sure how the border controls work over there. Also, has anyone done the Flight of Angels? Is it worth it?
Aug 27th, 2004, 08:38 AM

It's not a big deal to cross the border, but I don't know about doing it at night (after dinner).

Whether it is worth it...hmmm...Boma Restaurant is colorful--lots of food choices, big buffet, which is good even for vegetarians. Also does a dance performance which is quite professional. It was a fun evening...but we were staying in Vic Falls. Personally, I don't think it is a "can't miss it" kind of place, but that is up to you, of course.

The logistics-- you will need to take a cab. (We walked over to Zambia from Vic Falls, but got tired so hailed a cab to bring us back that afternoon. There was a short line for border control, but it wasn't bad. The cabs seemed reasonable, but can't remember the price! (My guess is that it will be at least $25 each way, because the Boma Restaurant is a bit outside town.

In addition to the cab, you'll need to buy an entry visa for Zimbabwe...I think that was about $20 per person.

Can't remember if flight of the angels is the helicopter or the microlight. If the helicopter: it is only about a 10 -15 minute ride. I am more a wildlife person than a waterfall person, so I thought it was "good"...but other people I was with just loved it. The helicopter is very noisy of course. But it is a good birdseye view of this extraordinary scene. (For my money, I enjoyed the elephant back "safari" and the boat cruise more, but that is because I'm not wild about noisy helicopters.)

Finally I think a day on the Vic Falls side might make more sense than just a dinner at the Boma. You could have tea or drinks at the Vic Falls Hotel, (a classic scene), do some other activities or check out the shopping, perhaps the sunset cruise (if you haven't done this on the Zambian side) then go to dinner.

But DO make sure that the border crossing is OK in the evening after dinner...I'm sure your hotel in Zambia can confirm this before you go (and perhaps arrange the transportation both there and back.)

Search this Thread