Blue Train South Africa

Feb 5th, 2006, 07:43 AM
Original Poster

Blue Train South Africa

I love trains. Has anyone done the Blue Train? Going to S. Africa in Sept/Oct...and would like to include the Blue Train
Feb 6th, 2006, 10:06 AM

I did it 19 years ago. It was wonderful in every way! I read a couple of years ago in Getaway magazine that it's not as nice as it used to be, but I don't remember any of the details. Maybe you can find that article on line, or get some other more up-to-date information here.
Feb 7th, 2006, 11:27 AM

Have you considered Rovos Rail? We went to Cape Town from Pretoria in September 2006 and truly enjoyed it. A fellow passenger, an Englishman, had taken both and preferred the Rovos Rail which is privately owned. The Blue Train is a sealed train run by the government and you cannot open the windows or stand outside on the observation car.
Feb 7th, 2006, 02:00 PM

Malaysia,

I have travelled on the Blue Train on two occasions in the past and truly enjoyed both experiences.

The Blue Train is quite an incredible adventure. It is a silent (rubberized wheels) ride through SA taking 24 hours from Cape Town to Pretoria (NOT Johannesburg. The CT > Pretoria ride is one of a couple of routes that the train travels with this route being the most popular one. One always meets every interesting people in the Blue Train lounge carriage however they wont be locals and will only be visitors to SA because of the cost factor. The food is fabulous and the winelist amazing. The train is fully air conditioned and one sees the wonderful countryside passing by you through double glazed windows however at night you see very little in that most areas are not lit up and all is dark outside. The service on the train is amazing to say the very least.

I have also travelled on Rovos Rail (more or less equal in costs to the Blue Train) and even though the two rides have many similarities and are equally good my final preference still lies with the Blue Train.

The downside is that the Blue Train is not only an expensive ride; it is a RIDICULOUSLY EXPENSIVE ride. If you have money to burn then it is a must do event; if not steer clear.

Is it worth the money? In my opinion it is an amazing experience that is worth the money however with the same amount of money one can attain so many other experiences. This leads me to a conclusion that no matter what its worth there are many other ways to enjoy oneself in SA that would be so much cheaper.

Would I do the ride again? Hand me a free ticket and I will grab the opportunity however if I had to pay for the ride the answer would be a definitive no.

To see more about prices, routes and all else with regard to the Blue Train go to http://www.bluetrain.co.za/. If you decide to do the ride please contact me as I will try and help you by arranging a discount for you.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Search this Thread