Birding along the Nile River and Lake Nasser

Aug 4th, 2007, 07:21 PM
Original Poster

Birding along the Nile River and Lake Nasser

We will be taking a trip on the Nile River and Lake Nasser. What might we find in birds or animals? Thanks for any help.
Aug 5th, 2007, 04:48 AM

I posted photos from our recent trip to Luxor where we saw lots of wildlife; type Egypt photos May 2007 into the search box, my link attempt didn't work.
We didn't go far outside the Luxor area and although birds were plentiful, we didn't see a great variety, mainly egrets and kingfishers. However ours was just a regular holiday so other than me no-one was looking! At the Moevenpick you could go on birdwatching walks around the island, where I'm sure there would have been a greater variety of birds to see in the fields and plantations.Likewise Lake Nasser would not have the same water traffic so you will see more.
I was lucky enough to catch sight of a few more exciting birds on our cruises, ibis, hawks,pelicans, but no animals. The land around the river is cultivated, so probably small mammals would be out at night-time rather than the day. Camels, donkeys,goats,water buffalo and dogs are plentiful!
A lot of the birds you will see are migratory and so coming from England where they spend the summers they didn't seem so exotic - swallows, geese,ducks etc but with time devoted just to look for wildlife you won't be disappointed.
Aug 6th, 2007, 04:35 AM

I am interested in birding, and plan a Nile cruise soon. So, does it make sense to lug the camera and the binoculars everywhere I go? Do the guards allow you to go everywhere with binoculars? I understand we cannot take pictures of the dam.

Thanks
Aug 6th, 2007, 06:16 AM

For more specific questions about birding a particular area, go to

www.birdforum.net
Aug 13th, 2007, 08:14 AM

There are one or two books published by the AUC (American University in Cairo) Press on Birds in Egypt. You can no doubt find them at Amazon.com if you want to get them before coming. They are both paperbacks, but one has color photos and is much better than the other one that has a burgundy cover and sketches.

Another good area to go for birds if you are interested is the ECO Lodge at Wadi Natrun. It sits in a natural reservoir for birds. Check out http://www.elhammraeco-lodge.com/ if you want to know more about the place, or contact me for more info.