Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Binocular suggestions (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/binocular-suggestions-758520/)

NattySilver Dec 28th, 2008 04:06 PM

Binocular suggestions

Hi,

I'm heading to Tanzania on my honeymoon in October. I received binoculars as a Christmas present, and want to make sure that these would be acceptable for a first-time traveler to Africa.

They are Simmons Pro Sport. 8-17 x 25 mm.

Thanks for your suggestions...especially if I need to return them!

Best,
Natalie

amycyma Dec 28th, 2008 04:59 PM

i am going to Botswana in May and was going to ask about binoculars. i have 3 sets and there are 2 of us going so what do i take
i have
Nikon 7x 35
Pentax 12x50
Bushnell 7x35

should i definitely take the pentax as that is different, or is are the others more versatile??

and Natalie i would go for something with more magnification, but hey i have never been to Africa, yet...
amy

napamatt_2 Dec 29th, 2008 09:37 AM

Amy

The 12*50 will be pretty heavy I imagine, making it difficult to use for extended periods. The 7*35 will both be great.

Natalie

They'll be fine.

amycyma Dec 30th, 2008 05:17 AM

Thanks napamatt
i do think the pentax are heavy, but thought i might "deal with it", but i will take your suggestion and go with both the 7x35 thanks
amy

Gritty Dec 30th, 2008 05:43 AM

amycyma,

I was actually just about to suggest the opposite--have one person take a 7 x 35 and one person take the 12 x 50. My wife and I typically bring 2 different bino. types when we go; I handle the heavier ones because I use them more and am more used to the reduced depth of field when spotting with them. However, if I see something cool and think my wife might like the more detailed view, I hand off the more powerful bino. to her for a look. It's nice to mix and match, in my opinion.

As for Natalie's question--I'd keep the ones you got for Christmas rather than possibly spend more money on a different pair. I'd rather spend more money on upgrading camera equipment than on binoculars.

aby Dec 30th, 2008 06:45 AM

<font color="blue"> NattySilver </font>

if the binocs are new and there's an option of changing them i'd do that! - i'd get a better quality glass
(yours is a zoom lens, and although it sounds &quot;cool&quot;. the qualitative ones are not zoom lenses... &amp; no serious binocs have a 17X index)
for example most bird-watchers use ~10X and most good binocs are between 8X and 12X

<font color="blue"> amycyma </font>
i support <font color="blue"> Gritty</font>'s view for various reasons.
you have to consider the weight though, but don't forget the car/jeep will be carrying it + you can lean on your elbows on the roof

aby

Feistybrit Dec 30th, 2008 09:09 AM

I was a first time safari goes this past October.
My daughter and I took 2 pairs of bino's, both Bushnell.
I pair are 7X35 and the other pair I can't remember, 7X25 maybe.
We ended up using the spare pair our guide had and after trying all 3 pairs I know for a fact the absolute perfect one's for both weight and viewing were the guides and they were Bushnell 8X42 and if I am ever lucky enough to go again I will be buying those.
They are perfect for distance without blurring and were not too heavy.
I definitely recommend 8X42

Sue

amycyma Dec 30th, 2008 03:40 PM

would it be silly to take 3 pair?? given that luggage weight is a factor.

but i thank you all for your thoughts, does it make any difference WHERE i am going, its to Botswana.

maybe i should also &quot;practice&quot; a bit with the binoculars. which we have for bird viewing, and get a feel for what its like to hold the pentax for long periods of time.
what i remember about the pentax when i use it to look at birds, is that it takes me awhile to &quot;find&quot; whatever my husband is viewing with the bushnell.

thanks
amy

cary999 Dec 30th, 2008 06:30 PM

Take three pair if you carry-on luggage. I'll bet that if you put one in checked luggage the luggage will be lost and when/if you get it the binocs will be gone. Same for any electronic looking gizmos.

Also, FWIW, I just simply don't like to use binocs for mammals and such. But if your into birding (I'm not unless they're close in), I'm sure they are a must have.

regards - tom