bigcountry please

May 4th, 2005, 06:26 PM
Lin
Original Poster

bigcountry please

Hi, I see from the forums that you were at Little Makalolo in January? Can you give me any details about your stay? How were the managers and guides? the accommodations? the park itself? Someone made a comment that this camp would only be used for 'overflow' - not even sure what that means, but anyway any specific info would be appreciated, thanks!
May 5th, 2005, 04:16 PM

makololo plains is a fantastic camp and in my opinion the best deal in the wilderness safari collection of camps. whe we visited in january, we were the only people in the camp. the guide was as good as any i have ever had (tendai). the quality of tent was on par with any 5 paw wilderness camp and the setting was arguably better than mombo's. from camp, we saw something like 20 different species of animals in our 3 day stay including a pack of 9 wild dogs. and if you like elephants, u wont see more than makololo in the dry season. and they like to drink out of the swimming pool so u can sit feet away from the action. possibly the most amazing experience i have ever had on safari.
in terms of it being a spillover camp, i think u may be thinking of little makololo. although we were the only people in camp in january (the low season), the managers said they do decent business during the high season.
i would not hesitate to go back and would recommend it to anyone. it really is areat deal right now.
when were you thinking of going? and let me know if you have any more specific questions.
May 7th, 2005, 08:21 PM
Lin
Original Poster

bigcountry,
Thanks for your reply - actually, I am talking about Little Makalolo and I thought that's where you had stayed, but it looks like you stayed at Makalolo Plains. Hopefully, the game-viewing will be similar since the two camps are not far apart in Hwange - excited about the elephants! So I guess you didn't actually see Little M.? I will be there for two nights this coming July.
May 8th, 2005, 08:39 AM

sorry for my misread. little makololo is about 15 min away from makololo and we drove by that area several times. the game viewing areas are the same so u have nothing to worry about. i think we saw white rhino right nearby little mak. and i believe the logpile hide is at the pan near little mak so close up with the eles will be great. have fun in july and report back what you see. hopefully the wild dog pack that frequents the area.

Search this Thread