Bicycle Riding in Israel

May 13th, 2000, 05:30 PM
Douglas

Bicycle Riding in Israel

I am planning a trip to Israel, with most of my time in the Jerusalem, this summer. Aside from hot weather concerns, does anyone know of local scheduled bicycle rides [I speak some hebrew], local cycling groups, bicycle stores or maps/other information on cycling Israel? I will have my own bike.

May 13th, 2000, 10:03 PM
ada

Hello Douglas,
Contact Mr. Eli Samocha
48, Kazenelson
Givataim, Israel
He will be able to help you.
His tel no. is 972-3-5711122
Ada

May 14th, 2000, 05:21 PM
Doug

Ada,
Thanks for the contact; I will try to call. Also, does Eli have an e mail?
Getting cycling information for Israel has been very difficult-thanks again!

May 14th, 2000, 09:30 PM
Ada

Douglas,
I will try and locate him and ask him. I am basing my information on my memory. Eli founded the Israeli Bicycle Association. He owns a bike shop and at least used to be very active, I remember my kids using him a lot.
I hope to have more information be tomorrow.
Ada

May 15th, 2000, 07:58 AM
Douglas

Ada,
Thank you, once again!
I will be bringing my own bike but wanted information on cycle shops for repairs/supplies as well as contacts for group rides by local cyclists-I find it's a nice way to interact with people & learn more about the country. I have ridden with Europeans in the east coast of the US [New York-Rockland County]; they seemed to appreciate both the cycling routes as well as the sharing of cultures. It is a nice way to learn while traveling.
Douglas

May 17th, 2000, 12:23 PM
Ada

Hello Douglas,
My daughter finally gave me the correct up to date information you need.
The bicyclists association's phone number is: 972-3-6490436.
I tried calling them but they operate and answer phones only on Sunday, Tuesday and Thursday. Since I anm leaving for a short trip tomorrow, I will not be able to phone them. Do try it by yourself. Just remeber the time difference between NY and Israel is 7 hours. We are ahead of you.
The regular office hours in Israel are 09:00 to 17:00. If you receive the answering machine that speaks Hebrew, wait till it changes to English.
Good luck,
Ada

May 29th, 2000, 09:09 PM
Doug

Ada,
Thank you for your help; I will definately call them. Again, I appreciate your information.
Doug

Jun 18th, 2000, 11:53 AM
Caroline

Doug, When I was staying in Tiberias, I noticed lots of people biking around the Sea of Galilee. Seems a lot more relaxed than biking in Jerusalem might be (all those hills!). Good luck, Caroline

Search this Thread