Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Beware_Emerson and Green restaurant (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/beware_emerson-and-green-restaurant-644521/)

mflickermd Sep 5th, 2006 04:18 PM

Beware_Emerson and Green restaurant

My spouse and I just returned froma spectacular 22 day tanzania trip and ended it with a farewell meal at Emerson and Green's rooftop eatery.The building poses a fire hazard.I am very fit and found the stairs impossible,but worst of all, the food was the most awful I have ever had-simply dreadful.We ate very little.It was completely touristy and inauthentic.One of our group likened it to school cafeteria fare.Don't go.Åny feedback?

Roccco Sep 5th, 2006 04:26 PM

mflickermd,

I have seen similar reports and as a result both nights my wife and I spent in Stone Town, we dined at our hotel, the Serena Inn. We had a beautiful "prime" room at the Serena Inn that featured a wrap around balcony and wonderful sea views.

Despite paying $1,000 per night to stay 3 nights at The Palms for our beach stay in Zanzibar, my wife, the seafood fan amongst us, preferred the seafood at the Serena Inn, calling it some of the finest seafood she had ever had.

When I do return to Zanzibar, it will only be to Mnemba Island (CCAfrica) as it is only marginally more than The Palms but guests I met at The Palms who had just stayed at Mnemba Island said there is absolultely no comparison and while they raved about their time at Mnemba they were somewhat disappointed with The Palms, as was I.

bat Sep 5th, 2006 06:11 PM

mflickermd

Well, I would not recommend it --other than for the view, so would for a sunset cocktail. But I can't say that it was the most awful food that I have ever had. And given it's cost definitely cannot say that it was the worst meal that I have had once I do a cost analysis. That would have to go to much, much more expensive meals. We had live music which added to the ambience.

I am not as fit as you indicate that you are and did not find the steps impossible--I did find them idiosyncratic in that the risers were not modern US standards, that is all very uniform to a certain height. Some of the steps reminded me of Mayan steps--short people who built high risers--go figure! But that added to the charm for me.

As far as a fire hazard, I had not thought of that and glad that I did not at the time--because the same would have applied to our room. but hey at least it is a rooftop. Not sure that most Stonetown hotels, other than the Serena, would comply with any fire code kinds of standards.

Bottom line--I enjoyed it more than you did, but would recommend the sunset cocktail more than dinner.

LyndaS Sep 5th, 2006 08:01 PM

Rocco, I agree with Alexsandro - the Serena did indeed have the best seafood I have tasted in a long time! We were full board and sure took advantage of seafood for lunch and supper every day! mmmmm mmmmm good!

mflickermd Sep 6th, 2006 12:12 AM

I have to agree with Rocco-the food at the Serena,although not fabulous,was very good.We also stayed at the Serena and had a lovely wrap around balcony which we thoroughly enjoyed.WE were at the Palms as well and really found it relaxing after all of our previous exertions.I suppose we all have varying tastes and that is what makes life interesting.

sandi Sep 6th, 2006 03:24 AM

We stayed at E&G and have to agree that the meal at their restaurant was marginal, but not expensive. Our bill with a few rounds of drinks, was barely $25/person. The view was great and maybe because we ran into some interesting people, who were friends-of-friends, our corner of the restaurant was having one heck of a grand time.

As to the stairs, I have to agree they were a challenge, but they are the original stairs of an old Swahili home; very high risers. Certainly not ones I'd want to run up/down a few times a day, but they were part of the atmosphers of "an original." In fact, in my trip report of last year, I specfically mentioned this and didn't recommend the hotel for some who might find it difficult to navigate the heights. I believe, I may have mentioned that E&G was an interesting hotel for it's accommodations, but dinner could be found elsewhere in Stone Town.

I too always wondered when visiting old temples, colosiuems, etc. in any number of countries, why the steps were so steep for people who were shorter than we are these days.

With the exception of the Serena Inn, I believe the other few hotels here, I recall they have similar "stair" issues... though not quite as steep. And don't expect to find elevators.