Beware of Exotic Expeditions Ltd

Nov 16th, 2018, 11:19 AM
Original Poster

Beware of Exotic Expeditions Ltd

Buyer beware. Junaid Kadri , the owner of Exotic Expeditions Ltd located in Mwanza, Tanzania, is a shyster.
We paid him for a 12day safari+Zanzibar trip. The first 2days of the trip were smooth. However, upon reaching Serengeti, the trip started disintegrating. The first indication came from the balloon safari operator, who wanted payment. Upon calling Junaid, he assured us it was a minor hitch and that we should pay and he would reimburse us.But this turned out to be a recurring trend. After the 3rd day, Junaid Kadri stopped answering phone calls. Every lodge we went to was unpaid, and all parks would either not let us enter , nor leave until the entrance fees and taxes were paid. There was no flight reservation, nor tickets from DAR to Mwanza and Kilimanjaro to Zanzibar.We ended up paying at each lodge, for each excursion , fees at each park, losing valuable vacation time . The driver , James,claimed he too, was not paid and did not even have money for gas and wanted us to pay. When we refused to pay for gas money, he told us he somehow got the money from Junaid. On hindsight, we believe he was in cahoots with Junaid.All in all, dream the vacation of a lifetime, turned out to be a stressful nightmare.We have not recovered the thousands of dollars we spent on top of having given him full payment. His quote was comparable to all other tour operators. And we did our due diligence by searching online for any negative reports. Thinking to support local agencies rather than have middle-men take large chunks, we decided to go with him. Unfortunately, people like Junaid Kadri blemish all those independent, small tour operators who are honest.

Last edited by tropicalrain; Nov 16th, 2018 at 11:32 AM.
Nov 16th, 2018, 07:14 PM

I'm sorry you had such a bad experience. Talk about being between a rock and hard place. We received such great treatment from Off Beat Safaris. I can't imagine dealing with this time and again at each location. I hope you get some resolve.
Nov 17th, 2018, 07:32 PM

Looks like you weren’t alone:

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUser...onal_Park.html
Nov 17th, 2018, 10:43 PM

I appreciating the warning about this horrible and sad experience. Those reviews seem to be the same person, both single posts, with slightly different wording. The only difference is the TA one mentions a US agent working in conjunction with the TZ agent, so I wonder what responsibility the US agent bears and why, if the same person, there's no mention of a US agent in the Fodors spost.
Other than the company's own website and FB page, there are almost no reviews--while there are no negative, there are only one or two positives that I see (maybe I missed others). As Michele said, it is really awful, especially because there are great companies like Offbeat and others who provide wonderful experiences.
To the OP, good luck. From personal experience, of a different sort of scam, I know this can easily happen, even when conscientiously doing due diligence. I also unfortunately know how unlikely it is that you'll see any of the money that was, in effect, stolen from you.

Search this Thread