best walking safaris in africa

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:30 AM
Original Poster

best walking safaris in africa

Which is the best place to do wild walking safaris in africa? any tips or experiences?
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 11:08 AM

In my experience the best walking for wildlife sighting has been
1) Mana Pools & Motoba Hills
2) South Luangwa & Hwange
3) North Luangwa
4) Lower Zambezi

One of the most remote and beautiful places to walk where you traverse the calf-deep Mwalewshi River to go to and from camp is North Luangwa. I stayed at Kutandala.

I've done a single outing of walking in Chitabe and Selinda. Those were nice and you could arrange for more walking at either of those places.

Robin Pope's multi-day mobile walking safaris are legendary. The people I know that have gone have really enjoyed them and some have gone back again. When we compared notes on what they saw on the mobiles with what we saw doing morning walks from camp, the walks from camp produced more game. That has also been my experience when comparing mobile walking safaris vs. walking from camp. But the mobiles offer a unique perspective that differs from a camp-based safari with walks.

Too early in the season, at least in Zambia, and walks are curtailed due to high grasses. I think in October it could be awfully hot for walking, though I've never gone then.

The gorilla and chimp treks on foot are a whole 'nother kind of safari, but I assumed you did not mean those.

Old Nov 21st, 2006, 12:15 PM

My walking has been exclusively in Zambia at 3 different sites. Bushcamp Company Camps and Kafunta Bush Camp in the southwestern part of the South Luangwa and Buffalo Camp in the North Luangwa. I would rank them the following using solely wildlife viewing as the criteria:

1) Buffalo Camp - North Luangwa

2) Bushcamp Company Camps - S.Luangwa
3) Kafunta Island BushCamps - S.Luangwa

All 3 were remote with no other people around them with North Luangwa being the most wild and remote. All 3 have camps structured and located to capture the "sounds of the night", with Buffalo having roaring lions and hyena howling. Have N.Luanga #1 by far, based on number of lions, buffalo and hyenas encountered as well as the overall game density. Bushcamp Co. Camps had best accomodations.
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:05 PM

There's a number of threads dealing with walking safaris. Search using those words.

My experiences are limited to Chizarira and Hwange NPs in Zimbabwe, and the Selinda Reserve in Botswana. All were good, but 'best' and 'better' are very subjective judgments. A close friend who has 'done' Chiz and Hwange a few times has also been to North Luangwa in Zambia, and I think he would recommend it highly. But he hasn't been impressed by walking experiences in other parts of Zambia (but luck often plays a part). For example, he's had what I would call some hair-raising wildlife experiences in Chiz, but he classed the safari he did with me in that area as one of his 'quietest.'

Try
http://www.afrigalah.com/zimimg/Elephant-trails.html
for a safari magazine article I wrote about walking in Chiz and Hwange.

John
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 01:08 PM

Sorry, typo in the link: It's

http://www.afrigalah.com/zimimg/Elephant_trails.html

John
Old Nov 21st, 2006, 08:18 PM
santharamhari

The only walking trail i've done is at Phinda in SA. But, i'm afraid it's not nearly as wild as the other mentions on this thread (fenced-in reserve).

I will be doing some walks in the Selinda concession next June.

Hari

Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 09:38 AM

The best? Only you cn determine that!

From my experience, African Bushcamp Company and Tafika both in South Luangwa, Zambia, should be considered. They both have top-notch guides, service and food, and specialize in walking. Tafika also has Mwaleshi Camp in North Luangwa. Any of these would be great choices. Would make a difference depending on the time of year you're planning to go.
Good luck!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 10:31 AM

balengo--

You may also want to consider the Wilderness Trails that are conducted in Kruger National Park (South Africa). I did one of them in 2005.
These trails are 3-night walking safaris that are based from small remote camps operating within Kruger Park. Kruger also operates day hikes and this year they started a 4-day backpacking trail, where you carry all of your own gear (tent, sleeping bag, food, etc.). You can find more information at www.sanparks.org.

I picked the Kruger wilderness trails over the Zambia safaris because they seemed less expensive. I found the accomodations to be very comfortable--however, I would love to do that 4-day "all-you-can-carry" trip, too. My comfort requirements are really low, as long as I'm having fun.

I plan to do a N./S. Luangwa walking safari someday--they sound like so much fun!
Old Nov 22nd, 2006, 11:17 AM

Hello Balengo,
You could have a look at the Tsavo walk with Tropical Ice. http://www.tropical-ice.com/grtwalk.htm