Dubai half day lay over tips

Old Jun 26th, 2007, 08:27 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Dubai half day lay over tips

We arrive Dubai on Sept. 1st at 12.30PM and get on to London flight for 2.30AM Sept. 2nd.
That means we have 14 hours in all, part of it is late night.
1. Is there any budget hotel near airport that we can use to fresh up and may be relax between 9PM and midnight?
2. What is the best way to see some main attractions int he limited time? Any private tour operators or do we need to take a taxi. I read about big bus (open top bus) but their tour ends at 5PM. Will that give us enough time?
3. Is it going to be too hot in September?
4. Any suggestions to help our day would be great.

Thanks
Old Jun 26th, 2007, 01:45 PM

If you fly with Emirates and stay overnight. They provide you with a stay at a local place they own. they may still do this given the hours.

http://www.waynehazle.com/eastafrica/dubai/index.htm

We hired a private driver through the hotel and he drove us around the city. I think 4 of us paid $20 per person. Well worth it.
'
Are you flying Emirates?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM
Original Poster

Yes, flying Emirates. The travel agent and the emirates customer service rep both said that the fare class that my tickets were booked are not eligible for free hotel
Did you just hire a taxi outside in the taxi stand?
Old Jun 27th, 2007, 09:09 AM

We didn't hire a taxi since once again we had that special deal, we took the shuttle to the provided hotel.

My recomendation is to have your travel agent check to see if you can pay for, on your own a half day rate for a nearby hotel. Likely it will be the same hotel anyway. Then you can contact the hotel & have them have a car and driver waiting to take you on a 3 or 4 hour city tour.
Old Jun 28th, 2007, 06:31 AM

1st, the weather should be nice in september not too hot considering the temperature that it can reach in june through august. let your agent work on finding you a near by hotel, and i am sure that any hotel will be able to provide you with a taxi service, but you have to see if they can hook you up with a special driver for a night in town, when you get there they should tell you your options for a mini tour and if not, there is bourj al arab is nice, the emirates towers should have (last time i went 3 summers ago) a nice pub on the 51st floor you can see the whole city from up there at night looks great, im not sure about the rest sooo many new things have come up since my last visit there.. good luck