Reload this Page >

Info wanted on Mala Mala Camps

Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 7th, 2001, 01:34 PM
Joan

Hi, <BR> We are coming to South Africa in either Aug. or Sep. of 2002 or 2003. we want to spend 3 nights at the Mala Mala reserve but we are not sure which Camp. Main camp is way to expensive so it is between Kirkmans camp and Harrys camp. Does anyone happen to know anything about these two places? And is Aug or Sep. better? <BR> Thank a lot

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 01:07 PM
Bert

Kirkman's reminds one of a 1920's style hunting lodge, with an old-fashioned, 'historical Africa' atmosphere. The appeal of Harry's Camp is more ethnic with 'African culture' being the theme represented by the Ndebele-style buildings & decorations. There's not much difference between August and September; September would be a bit warmer though & perhaps less windy. <BR> <BR>Here is what some recent visitors had to say about staying at the two camps; what stands out are their comments relating to the quality of the guiding, by far the most important ingredient for a succesful safari: <BR> <BR>A family from Richmond, VA wrote: "I just wanted you to know that our family had a fabulous time in Harry's Camp at MalaMala. It was a wonderful experience for all of us, and we were all very subdued on the last morning drive because none of us wanted to leave. The animal and bird viewing were superb, and our guide, Brendon deBoer, couldn't have been more personable OR knowledgeable." <BR> <BR>Someone from Belgium wrote as follows: "At MalaMala (Kirkman's Camp) I want to point out Nils Kure, our guide. He is simply the best. Broad knowledge, great humor, and excellent service. We did see all animals, the big 5, however in small number. Two lion, two rhino, two buffalo...." <BR> <BR>Bert <BR>Houston <BR>

Old Sep 10th, 2001, 04:19 PM
Joan

I just wanted to thank you Bert. Your response was very helpful. <BR> Thanks again, Joan

Old Oct 9th, 2001, 11:20 PM
laura

Hi Joan <BR> <BR>I used to work in the Sabi Sands Reserve (where Mala Mala) is situated. I must say that Mala Mala is quite overrated. You end up paying a fortune for the name. There a plenty lodges in the Sabi Sands and they all offer exactly the same concept at much cheaper prices and some are even much better accommodation-wise. I would suggest getting more information regarding other lodges. There is a company called Conservation Corporation in Africa that have quite a few lodges in the Sabi Sands Reserve as well as plenty others. I will try and find the web pages for you so you can decide. You have plenty of time to shop around.

Old Oct 10th, 2001, 06:51 AM
laura and gary

Hi Joan <BR> <BR>Try the Conservation Corporation web site at www.conscorp.com <BR> <BR>They have some amazing lodges (much better than Mala Mala and still situated in the Sabi Sands Reserve. <BR> <BR>Rgds. Laura

Old Oct 15th, 2001, 05:41 AM
Lisa

Have been to a few private game lodges in SA and Botswana. Not Mala Mala. After speaking to game rangers in these camps, would also say that Mala Mala is over rated. My absolute favorite is Sabi Sabi. But there are other excellent ones. I believe Leopard Hills is also great. In August/Sept you can get winter rates at Sabi Sabi which is substantially cheaper than their peak season rates and that may apply to other camps also.