Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Best time to visit Zanzibar? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/best-time-to-visit-zanzibar-1034716/)

jackhodgy Jan 17th, 2015 02:44 AM

Best time to visit Zanzibar?

Looking to visit Zanzibar in 2016. I have heard June and July are good times, but have also heard good things about February. I'm interested in diving so Id like to visit when the diving is best. IVE heard things about humidity in February and it being unbarebaly hot, however I have experienced Florida humidity in 38 degrees Celsius. So which time is the best to visit? Any advice would be helpful

sandi Jan 17th, 2015 11:28 AM

The coast/islands are tropical, thus hot & humid year-round. The period Dec-Mar is considered 'summer' thus daytime temps can be at least 100-degrees if not higher and the humidity not much less. For any accommodations I'd suggest resorts w/ a/c if only for sleeping unless you enjoy waking in a puddle of water soaked sheets.

June-July-Aug, still tropical but daytime temps and humidity are somewhat lower and some indicate the better time to visit. We were in June and it was brutal everywhere and as a New Yorker are quite used to 'ugly' summer weather.

However, we all deal with weather differently, but if most of your time will be spent 'under water' you should be just fine. :) Sitting on a beach or at a pool (unless under a tree) though can be a killer.

So guess it's your decision.

jackhodgy Jan 17th, 2015 03:18 PM

Sandi, Is the weather quite rainy in June? I looked into June and it had the best deals, I thought this could have been due to the weather. Can you give me information as to what the weather was like when you were there?

sandi Jan 18th, 2015 11:45 AM

June is the end of the 'short' rains, however, we only had a brief shower one morning after breakfast... maybe 10/min. We headed to the bar! :) Nothing in the afternoons or evenings/nights.

But you have to remember that 'weather is weather... whether it will or whether is would not?' Nowadays, one can never be assured regardless wherever you are in the world! Even in so-called 'dry' seasons, some wet is not unusual.

KathBC Jan 18th, 2015 07:21 PM

There was no rain for my 7 days in mid June 2011, just hot & humid.

It's a very beautiful place and altho many say not to spend more than a day in Stonetown I really enjoyed my 3 days in old Stonetown just hanging out.

jackhodgy Jan 19th, 2015 07:10 AM

Would it be better if i visited Early June or waited until the end of June or maybe even July? What was the average temperature also? :)

sandi Jan 19th, 2015 02:32 PM

We were there during early June and it was awfully hot (in the 90s) and really really humid.

I usually handle beach environments pretty well, but gave up staying on the beach at Phuket (Thailand) after 10/min... just too brutal; and when at the Seychelles, if not for the periodic showers, would have also have given up if only sun was beating down.

So, only you know how well you do in such an environment.

jackhodgy Jan 20th, 2015 08:01 AM

Ok, apparently February is worse so I guess June it is! Thank you for all your help also :)

atravelynn Jan 23rd, 2015 02:20 PM

How about for snorkeling? Would that be July do you think?