Best Time to View Big Game in South Africa

Oct 16th, 2014, 12:46 PM
Original Poster

Best Time to View Big Game in South Africa

I have read conflcting information about when it is best to visit Kruger National Park. Some articles say that October is not good, others say that it is. Please advise when are the best months for viewing the animals.

Thanks!
Oct 16th, 2014, 12:56 PM

Using descriptors of Good and Excellent, I'd say June through October is the best time. June and October would be Good/Excellent with the months in between Excellent. I was there early October and had excellent sightings while staying at Londolozi.
Oct 16th, 2014, 04:17 PM

It starts to rain mid Sept and it starts to warm up then, too. The game viewing is good year round, but if the grasses become healthy it's a little harder to see creatures. But the Rangers will start to cheer up because the weather is getting warmer and the days longer. Check the weather this year (current month!) to see if it's good for you. In my view, any day on safari is good. There are no guarantees any time you go. Are you going to Kruger National Park or the private reserves (Sabi Sand, Timbavati) nearby. I love Kruger NP and had great viewing this past June. Two days were "sparse", two years ago viewing around Satara was incredible - this time not as great. Southern part was better. Again - no guarantees no matter when/where/how much you spend.

Enjoy your planning. Kruger is a great experience.
Oct 16th, 2014, 08:39 PM

The other thing to consider is school holidays. Try to avoid.
This site has school dates.
http://www.kwathabeng.co.za/travel/s...-calendar.html

I've gone in June and in Dec. Both were good. Shorter grass in the dry season makes it easier to see animals.

Whenever you go, you'll see animals.

Search this Thread