Best time to see wildebeest calving

Mar 5th, 2005, 12:04 PM
Original Poster

Best time to see wildebeest calving

I know if varies each year, but when would you say is the best time visit Tanzania to see the wildebeest calving? We were planning to book our safari for February 19th 2006 to March 2nd 2006. Should we think about going earlier or later?

Also, the reason we have not booked the trip yet is because it's still to far out to get airline tickets. (It looks like we'd be able to purchase them on March 12th.) Our operator (Roys) says we are running a risk by waiting because people are already booking for the Feb. 2006. However, I don't want to book the trip until I have my airline tickets. Any suggestions? Is it really that BIG of a risk if we wait another week or two? Should we look at going a week or so earlier in Feb. so we can book now? (I don't know, maybe that would even be better to see the wildebeest calving) Thanks for your time and advice! I enjoy reading all your posts.
Mar 5th, 2005, 12:49 PM

Phillipsburg-
Louise at Ndutu Safari Lodge told me last year that the Wildebeests begin calving the first full moon after the 1st of February. It usually goes on for about 2 weeks. This sounds good for all the folks who have happened to see it, its usually still going on the middle of February. I agree that is the prime time. Louise also told me that they usually book up from July to September and they are right in the midst of this event. If you go to www.ndutu.com you can see how their bookings are going. They have a link from their home page to show how booked they are. Roy Safaris really knows best how the camps book on the Serengeti. I'm using them too and we leave Tuesday. We couldn't get airline tickets during February. I agree you should wait until you have the airline tickets. What good is it if the dates don't match? I had to let the airline tickets dictate the dates of our safari, but we were using ff tickets. Liz
Mar 5th, 2005, 01:38 PM

Philipsburg-
I just returned from being in the Mara in Kenya from Feb. 26-28th. I don't know about the calving in the Serengeti but if it is around the same time as the Mara, we saw hourdes of newborn wildebeest, everything from seeing one just born (the mother still had the placenta on her) and trying to get on it's feet, to some just days to weeks old.
It was fascinating watching all the calves and the mothers keeping their little ones away from the strange tourist vehicles.
Even our guide commented on the number of wildebeest in the area stating they are generally in the serengeti this time of year.
I don't think you should have a problem getting your airline tickets for Feb. '06. I have purchased mine as late as a couple of months out before a trip. But if you do use FF miles, the earlier you can get your tickets the better.

Search this Thread