Best time to go to Egypt?

Sep 26th, 2004, 05:09 PM
Original Poster

Best time to go to Egypt?

When is the best time of year to visit Egypt? Would the two weeks around Christmas be a good time? Because I work in a school, my choices are June, July or Winter break. I had been worried about safety but have been reading many posts that state it is a safe place for Americans to visit. We've done alot of indepent travel but am thinking I'd like to have the historical input provided by a guide. Is the lack of freedom worth trading for the convience and information readily available form a good tour. Best tour oporators in the middle price range? Thinking about taking our two children 19,22. Thanks for any guidance!
Sep 26th, 2004, 07:57 PM

My family and I were in Egypt last Christmas - New Year period and found the weather to be perfect. Temperature during the daytime was around 20 Celsius and at night it was quite chilly. Perfect for visiting the various sites throughout the day. From reading the other people's trip reports especially those who visited Egypt during the hotter months, their daytime activities were curfew to the very early or late hours due to extremely hot temperatures.
Sep 27th, 2004, 03:55 AM
sandi

Christmas time is good, but also busy as many Egyptian families and others from Middle East countries visit; otherwise the weather is comfortable in Cairo. As you travel south to Luxor, Aswan and Abu Simbel it will heat up, even to very hot in Aswan and Abu Simbel.

You can do a search on this board - in the box on top of page enter "Egypt tour operators" or simply "Egypt" and click the Find box to the right. Threads will appear on the left column where you can read thru to find a number of tour outfitters in-country in Egypt.

You do not necessarily have to do a "group" tour, though any itinerary you set up with them will be called "a tour" as you've arranged with the outfitter an itinerary. You can have a private guide/driver for your days in Egypt, especially Cairo. Then if you choose to do a Nile Cruise, while on the boat there will be an English-speaking guide for your land tours of temples with a group of maybe 10-15, and except for these sights you can be on your own. You'll have some free time while in Aswan and Luxor to visit or revisit places on your own, but the boat will act as your hotel. Or you can do a shorter boat cruise and spend an additional night or two in Luxor.

On the other side, you can simply hire a guide/driver thru your hotel in Cairo and do it that way. So read thru the various Egypt threads and see what options some Fodorites have chosen - then make your decision that's best for you.

Search this Thread