Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

best time of year to visit Namaqualand flower route?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30th, 2010, 01:01 PM
Original Poster

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

We've started thinking about next year's trip, and talking to some SA wine producers set us off thinking about going back to South Africa again, specifically to see the flowers in Namaqualand.

I had thought that they were mostly to be found at this time of year but looking at the flower route website, it suggests that earlier in the year might be better, even as early as late July.

Any ideas about the best time of year to visit, and where to go?
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In 2003 we drove through Namaqualand at the end of August hoping to see the wildflowers, which we'd read would be in full bloom by then. Of course it was 'the first time in 30 years' (we heard that everywhere we went!) that they hadn't come out in August - even the Clanwilliam flower show had to be cancelled! Maybe someone local to the area can give you more accurate information about current trends, maybe we were just unlucky that year!
Old Oct 30th, 2010, 09:05 PM

Predicting when the flowers will peak is a bit like predicting the wildebeest migration in Kenya and Tanzania. It depends on the rains. As Tockoloshe discovered, in years of low rainfall, the flower display may be poor. The flower season is mid-August to October, but when the flowers will be at their peak in any given year is anyone's best guess. If it were me, I would put my money on late August. However, I would consult the experts - email the hosts at the B&Bs where you are thinking of staying and ask their advice. If you plan to go to Namaqualand during the flower season, book soon. Accommodation is completely booked up months in advance.

One of the best places to view the flowers is in the Postberg section of West Coast National Park, which is only open in August and September, when the flowers are spectacular. You can reach WCNP in a little over an hour driving from Cape Town. Robin
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

thanks, robin & tockoloshe [love the screen name BTW!]

Certainly late aug/sept would suit us better - hoping for come better weather than we got on our first visit when we had quite a lot of rain [it was June though!]

Robin - I'll take up your suggestion and contact teh B&B owners. ones with a crystal ball would be good!
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 06:36 AM

Here is one place to consider:

http://www.naries.co.za/

They may not have a crystal ball, but the accommodation looks fantastic and gets great reviews on Trip Advisor and in the Greenwood Guide. We are booked to stay at the retreat at the end of August 2011. We are hoping to see the flowers on our way back to Cape Town after a visit to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park and Sesriem/the dunes. We will also stop at West Coast National Park to see the flowers there. Robin
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 12:43 PM
Original Poster

thanks, again, robin,

the naries looks lovely, and quite reasonable considering that it's dinner as well. Have you booked any activities or are you just going to wing it?

how long is your trip going to be overall?
Old Oct 31st, 2010, 03:31 PM

We haven't booked any activities at Naries as we are only staying overnight on our way back to Cape Town. Hopefully, we will arrive early enough that we can go for a hike or drive around Naries to view the flowers.

Our trip will last about three weeks:
CT to Karoo NP - 1nt
Karoo NP to Upington (Brown's Manor - 1 nt)
Upington to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park (2 nts Urikaruus, 1 nt Kieliekrankie, 1 nt Nossob, 2 nts Grootkolk, I nt Gharagab, 1 nt Nossob, 2 nts Bitterpan, 2 nts Kalahari Tented Camp)
Kgalagadi to Aus, Namibia (Eagle's Nest Lodge - 1nt)
Aus to Sesriem (Sossus Dune Lodge - 3nts)
Sesriem to Aus - back to Eagle's Nest Lodge - 1 nt
Aus To Naries
Naries to CT

...and you're most welcome! Robin
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 02:32 AM

Plan for late August and keep an eye on the Namaqualand flower forum on the SANparks website. Once there, locals can tell you where to drive to catch the best fields. We visited in early Sept this year (staying in Kamieskroon) and liked it even though locals said it was a bad year.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 03:40 AM

Maybe time your flower excursion to coincide with the botanical garden flower shows: I believe that Clan William still runs its event. That way if you miss the rain, you still get to see and appreciate what the hype is all about.
Old Nov 1st, 2010, 10:14 AM

Try to fit in a walk round one of the rock art sites up in the Cedarberg - it was amazing to wander round at our own pace exploring the rock art, and it's apparantly good for the flowers too (but we wouldn't know ....!)
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 05:08 AM
Original Poster

thanks, so much, all of you.

Robin, I think i need to get out a guide book [fodors?] and a map!

I was brought up going to flower shows, so your idea is an apt one for me, mkhonzo.

tockoloshe - i need that map to see where the cedarberg is!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 06:28 AM

I have read both the Frommer's and Fodor's South Africa - I like to compare the two. If you are lucky, you might be able to find them in your local library. My favourite SA map is Map Studio's South Africa Road Atlas www.mapstudio.co.za. I ordered mine online from omnimap.com

Be certain you get the latest edition - here is the link.

http://www.mapstudio.co.za/product-d...ica-Road-Atlas

Robin
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:44 AM
Original Poster

hi robin,

thanks.

on our first [and sadly last] trip to SA, we had a great map of the western cape to start off with, but when we got further east, finding a similar one of the eastern cape was really difficult.

that link looks really useful.
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 08:52 AM
Original Poster

lucky me - i just got the offer of a free Fodor's guide for being quoted in the rome guide, so i ordered the SA one.

Robin - how easy would it be to adapt the trip you have planned [imitation being the sincerest form of flattery] to a one way trip - say into Cape Town and out of Windhoek? how long to do it justice?
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 01:40 PM

Ann - It wouldn't be difficult at all. In fact, originally part of our party of eight Canadians was going to leave via Windhoek (having flown into Cape Town), while the rest of us were going to drive back to Cape Town. Then the couple decided that they wanted longer in Cape Town, and so are returning with us. In fact, I am rather disappointed that Windhoek was dropped from the itinerary - the drive from Sesriem to Windhoek via either the Remhoogte Pass or the Spreetshoogte Pass is supposed to be lovely. Instead, we are now all heading straight south to CT from Sesriem. The good news is, this allowed us to add Naries and the flowers to our itinerary.

The one-way itinerary would look like this:
CT to Karoo NP
Karoo NP to Upington (Brown's Manor)
Upington to Kgalagadi Transfrontier Park via the Twee Riverien Gate (2 nts Urikaruus, 1 nt Kieliekrankie, 1 nt Nossob, 2 nts Grootkolk, I nt Gharagab, 1 nt Nossob, 2 nts Bitterpan, 2 nts Kalahari Tented Camp)
Kgalagadi to Aus (via the Mata Mata gate), Namibia (Eagle's Nest Lodge)
Aus to Sesriem (Sossus Dune Lodge)
Sesriem to Windhoek (or Sesriem to Swakopmund to Windhoek)

If you wanted to extend the trip a little, you could go from Seriem to Swakopmund and then to Windhoek - the drive from Sesriem to Swakopmund across the Namib Desert via the C14 is one of our favourite drives - the first photo (see link below) of the four of us in the desert is taken on that drive.

Below is our trip report and photos from 2008 - we did exactly what you are considering - started in Cape Town, went to Kgalagadi via Karoo National Park, and then the dunes and finally dropped our friends in Windhoek - my DH and I then went on to Botswana. We took about 3 weeks (it was 4 weeks, but 1 week was a conference in Swakopmund) to do the section you are considering, but it could easily be shortened or lengthened.

Absolutely have a look at Eagle's Nest Lodge in Aus - it is one of our favourite places in Southern Africa. www.namibhorses.com

We have not stayed at Sossus Dune Lodge (www.nwr.com.na) before - we have always stayed at Kulala Desert Lodge or Kulala Wilderness Camp (we loved both) - we are trying Sossus Dune Lodge (which gets very mixed reviews and is very pricey) because we can head into the dunes before dawn and stay until after sunset - the fact that the lodge is within the park gives guets unlimited access to the dunes.

If you're thinking of Swakopmund, have a look at Beach Lodge. http://www.beachlodge.com.na/

For Windhoek we are trying Olive Grove Guest House. We have always stayed at the Hilltop House, but wanted to try something new. http://www.olivegrove-namibia.com/

Here is the link to the trip report and photos:

http://bert-and-bin.smugmug.com/Trav.../7172232_XrT3Y

Robin
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 03:29 PM
Original Poster

brilliant, Robin, just what I was hoping for.

I'll have to start looking at flights!
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:33 PM

Happy to be of help! I hope the flights make it possible.

...and in case I've confused you terribly with the Olive Grove/Windhoek reference - we are booked to stay in Windhoek, but not during the above outlined SA/Namibia trip. We will begin our Namibia/Botswana/ Zambia self-drive from Windhoek (flying in from CT) - a different trip altogether (later in the year). Robin
Old Nov 3rd, 2010, 04:38 PM

I should have also pointed out that when we did the trip in 2008, the Mata Mata Gate from Kgalagadi to Namibia wasn't yet open, so we had to return to Upington from Kgalagadi. From Upington, we took two nights to reach the dunes/Sesriem - we spent a night at Fish River Canyon and a night at Eagle's Nest Lodge. The Mata Mata gate allows you to go straight to Aus. If you wish to see Fish River Canyon, you might want to return to Upington after Kgalagadi and go from there. Robin
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 01:48 PM
Original Poster

robin - resurrecting this thread as our plans changed, so that the trip never came off in 2011, but it might in 2013.

the plan would be to do a longer trip taking in SA, and Australasia, starting with two -three weeks in southern Africa at the end of October/beginning of November.

would this be too late for the flowers, do you think? and would it be too hot in Namibia?
Old Jul 2nd, 2012, 03:33 PM

Yes, flowers normally between the end of August and mid to the extreme rare case of late September.

It is always hot in Namibia, but if you find yourself at the coast it will be dramatically cooler due to the cold current that flows up that way. Too hot = subjective, what temp is too hot for you?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -