Best time of year to climb Kilimanjaro

Aug 11th, 2000, 03:04 AM
Heidi

Best time of year to climb Kilimanjaro

We're planning a trip to Tanzania next year with the main focus being a trek up Kilimanjaro and a stay on Zanzibar. What is the best time of yesr to do this?

Thanks,

Heidi

Aug 11th, 2000, 09:51 AM
Adair

Heidi, if you can wait a month or so before making any reservations I will let you know first hand. I am leaving next Friday to climb Kili and then after a few other stops I will end my trip in Zanzibar. The only thing that I know for certain is that August and September are the winter months in Africa and therefore supposed to be drier and less buggy. I will keep your e-mail address and let you know how it was when I get back. I will be gone for 40 days so please be paitent.

Aug 18th, 2000, 07:56 PM
lael

Heidi, we climbed Kili January 2000 and had perfect weather. Did game drives in Serengeti and Crater for a week before the climb (helped acclimate,too) and the weather was hot but dry. On Kili it was cold at night but during the day it was comfortable. Rain came in the afternoons as soon as we hit camp and was never enough to affect the next day climb. Did not have to climb in snow at summit which was nice. Zanzibar was perfect that time of the year also--all sunshine!
Let me know how your trip goes and good luck
Lael

Aug 23rd, 2000, 12:11 PM
Melissa

I'm doing my Kili trip the first two weeks of Oct with the same agenda as described by all of you. Can't seem to get a really solid idea of what weather to expect then. Also, any recommendations on Zanzibar itself: places to stay, etc? And particular safaris to take?
Thanks,
Melissa

Search this Thread