Search

Best Time of Year for Israel & Jordan?

Search this Thread

Old Jul 14th, 2013, 11:35 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Best Time of Year for Israel & Jordan?

Hi all.

Thinking of Israel & Jordan for the next trip. We would do this in 2 weeks. What is the best time to travel in terms of the best weather in both destinations? Because I am taking my kids, I need to travel in the U.S. summer (June-August), Spring Break (April) or Christmas (December). I would really like to enjoy the sights without it being too hot. We are just back from Southeast Asia and it was hot, hot, hot!

Advice appreciated as always.

Thank you.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 05:27 AM

Given the choices presented either early June or April. (exact dates are needed to avoid Passover which is very very expensive) December there is always a chance of rain.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

Thank you Elkaz.

Spring break would be ideal but I will check the actual school dates to not interfere with Passover.

June is also possible but my daughter may revolt about another birthday abroad. She just celebrated turning 11 last month in Vietnam and she was less than enthused!

Appreciate the info.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 02:18 PM

We were in Jordan this past March. The temperature was very nice with a few hot days. From what we heard there the June to August period is extremely hot.
Old Jul 15th, 2013, 02:29 PM
Original Poster

Thank you colduphere. I think I will start the research with April in mind.

Appreciate it.
Old Jul 16th, 2013, 07:20 AM

Agree with cold, spring would be best as even in May it gets quite hot(and dry). April should be perfect. I would choose Dec. over June as the temps are not that cold and though there might be some rain, it would be comfortable for touring most of the time.
Old Jul 18th, 2013, 12:35 PM
jgg

We went with our kids for spring break in 2010. It was the last two weeks of March and we found the weather great. I would imagine that April would be ideal! We did end up being there during Passover. Just how their spring break lined up. We didn't necessarily find things super expensive but we did have to book hotels early in order to be sure we got rooms.

We chose to actually be in Tel Aviv during Passover because we thought it would be easier, and I do think it was. The first night of Passover about 3pm everything closed and the streets were EMPTY! Just a handful of restaurants were open and they had limited menus. The next day most stores, etc. were closed but a lot more restaurants were open and we used the day to just relax and enjoy the beautiful weather. The next day things we're pretty much back to usual.

Here is a link to my blog with my Israel/Jordan trip report a long with a lot of pictures:
http://www.fromhometoroam.com/catego...e-east/israel/
Old Jul 20th, 2013, 07:27 PM
Original Poster

Thanks jgg. I've read it twice and enjoyed it immensely. It will prove very helpful, as did your Asia trips! We are just back and tried several of the activities and restaurants you listed. Let me know when you do safari -- we've done Kenya and Tanzania, South Africa and Namibia. Looking forward to our first trip to this region.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 09:27 AM

Have been in Dec/Jan where we lucked out that daytime temps JER were mild (shocking to all residents.... but we got a few good ones, but when cloudy it was downright cold), evenings though nippy, where our cashmeres and suedes worked. TLV was warm w/ cool evenings. Masada always unbearably hot.

Been in Jorden/Egypt during Oct/Nov with warm/hot days and comfy evenings.

Regarding June-Aug - Middle East, all countries are very very hot, where friends/relatives most years actually returned to US and/or Canada for more bearable weather, though this year not sure they found it

Spring would be best, but
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 09:28 AM

... but, depending on when Passover falls and often expensive hotels and/or minimum #/days at hotels can be a negative. However, if your kid's breaks are a few days prior or after you might be fortunate with availability and prices.
Old Jul 21st, 2013, 09:33 AM
jgg

Lolazahra - Glad you found it helpful! We have booked our safari for Tanzania for June 2014!! Doing Maynara Ranch, Ngorongoro Crater and Serengeti. Everything is already booked, but would love to hear about any tips you would have or amazing experiences you had when in Tanzania. You can email me through my blog. Just click on contact in the upper righthand corner of the home page (www.fromohometoroam.com). That way we won't overload this thread with other info.
Old Jul 22nd, 2013, 12:03 AM

i think it's better to visit in the mid of April.
Old Jul 30th, 2013, 12:15 PM
Original Poster

Thanks sandi and ReddyClift. I am thinking the weather will be best for Spring Break and will hope for the best in terms of the holidays, especially the minimum number of day bookings at hotels.

jgg, so excited for your trip and will email you! Ngorongoro Crater and the Serengeti were truly highlights of my life. The abundance of wildlife and experiences are just astounding. More on that to your personal email.

Now on to planning for Israel/Jordan. I'm so excited. Fodor's makes it so much fun. Thanks all for helping me to narrow down the time of year. More questions later after I have had a chance to read up more....