BEST TIME FOR SAFARI

Jul 22nd, 2002, 08:14 PM
Judy

BEST TIME FOR SAFARI

My husband and I are planning a safari trip in 2003. What is the best time of year to go? Any times to avoid? Thanks, in advance.

Jul 23rd, 2002, 04:06 AM
kavey

Judy

A lot depends on where in Africa you are going, what your preferred min and max temperatures are and what you want to see.

For example June in Southern Africa is cooler, the days are sunny and warm, but not hot hot hot and the evenings and early mornings are cool.

If you want to see particular migrations, such as the Wildebeeste you need to research best time for that.

Some birds are easier to spot at certain times of year.

In hot and dry seasons there are fewer waterholes and animals congegrate at those they can find, this can impact on viewing, the guide just has to take you to a waterhole for almost guaranteed sightings.

In wetter months the guide has to find the game, but what you can see may be different.

Kavey

Jul 24th, 2002, 09:58 AM
Karen

Have to agree with kavey - Africa is very diverse - equatorial near one end and well the Cape is pretty close to the Antarctica - it snowed in mountainous parts of the Cape this week. You would have to be more specific about where on the continent you wanted to go and see. Right now I would say South Africa is a pretty decent spot as there is no political upheavel with other countries which unfortunately is not true of some otherwise fantastic countries on this continent.

Search this Thread