"Best" time for gorillas Rwanda/Uganda

Sep 24th, 2004, 10:31 AM
Original Poster

"Best" time for gorillas Rwanda/Uganda

Hi all,

My mother (mid 60s) has expressed a keen interest in going to either Uganda or Rwanda to see the gorillas. I think that this is something she would really love, as long as I do all the planning and ease her into East Africa. I'd like her to see the Serengeti for a short safari as well.

Question: is there a best time of year to gorilla trek? I'm concerned, specifically, with how difficult/muddy the hiking is. She's reasonably fit, but the easier the better. Is Rwanda better than Uganda for someone who dosn't think of herself as outdoorsy (even though, believe me, she's tougher than she thinks)?

n.b.: I think she'd be up for taking me along if I get the ball rolling....so any suggestions are appreciated. She would not be interested in camping or long bus rides.
Sep 24th, 2004, 02:33 PM

I did this trip in August 2003, visiting both Bwindi (Uganda) and Parc Nacional Volcans (Rwanda), and I posted a trip report which you can find by clicking on my name and looking for a post titled Ugands/Rwanda trip report or something like that.

We had no problem finding the gorillas on our treks, and the Ugandan trek was only 15 minutes compared to an hour or so in Rwanda, but the gorillas move and you can't predict which country will be easier.

The Bradt guides to Uganda and Rwanda provide the best descriptions of the treks in each country.

Its an amazing adventure.

Michael

Please let me know if you have any questions.
Sep 24th, 2004, 03:36 PM
Original Poster

Michael,
Found your trip report and have printed it--thanks so much. Will get the Bradt ASAP.

I personally couldn't care less about length of hike/depth of mud, but I know my mom might.
Thanks again,
Leona

Search this Thread