best souveniers

Jul 4th, 2007, 02:05 PM
Original Poster

best souveniers

We will be going to Tanzania soon and want to know what kinds of souvenirs people have brought back home and approximately what they paid. How much should I pay for Tanzanite/carved wood boxes/beaded jewelry....? What did you find??
Jul 4th, 2007, 04:02 PM

I bought beaded bangle bracelets (said to be Maasai made but who knows) for about $5-7. These were nice ones, good color and designs. I had little time but grabbed a package of six wooden animal napkin rings in an airport shop for about $9. They are about 4"-5" and I saw Mala Mala using them later on.

If you are leaving soon (or anyone else is) and going to the Crater Lodge, please email me. There is something very very small and light that I really regret not buying and I'm looking for someone who is going there soon. [email protected]
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:39 PM

I too bought beaded bangle bracelets at the "shop"at Olduvai camp, made by the Maasai. I also bought a carving from the in-house woodcarver at Gibbs Farm. Looked at a couple of places selling souvenirs but wasn't impressed by them, (most of what they had I could buy in my local Fair-trade shop for a similar price!) and as I can't afford good quality Tanzanite I didn't buy any of that either. My best souvenirs are my photos and my memories.
Jul 5th, 2007, 12:48 PM

i bought a maasai wedding collar and had it framed in a deep frame. i paid about $22 for it and have LOVED it!
Jul 5th, 2007, 05:48 PM

My favorite souvenirs from Tanzania were: paintings (USD10-15), carved ebony statue of a woman (USD12, at the airport it was USD35), shawls/wraps (USD10), and Tanzanite. I paid around $400 for my tanzanite and it was about 1 carat and a gorgeous color.
Jul 5th, 2007, 06:44 PM

I'm a big salad eater, so among the other knick knacks, I've bought salad tongs with giraffes, elephants, etc. Every night I toss my salad with them and they make me smile.
Jul 5th, 2007, 08:20 PM

WOW, how the price of Tanzanite has increased. Not too long after Tanzanite made its mark in the U.S, I was in Africa and bought my mother-in-law a 2/3 carat stone for US$68. This was in December of 1993 Guess I won't be doing that again on my upcoming trip. ;-)
Jul 10th, 2007, 09:45 PM
Original Poster

Did anyone find carved wood boxes?
Jul 11th, 2007, 04:16 AM

At Samburu Serena Lodge, in the gift shop, we bought a small (about 5" tall) gourd Christmas ornament that has elephants "carved" around it for about $4; it is dark brown.

Beaded Masai belts at the Cultural Heritage Center in Arusha were $6 and samll ebony elephants were $8.

Friends bought fabulous tanzanite at the Cultural Heritage Center, but you really need to know what you're doing as far as choosing--white cloth/paper, taking the stone outside to see it in daylight, etc.
Jul 16th, 2007, 09:27 PM

Some travelers told me that they had problems bringing wood items back into their country from Africa. I think maybe they were from Australia..?
Jul 16th, 2007, 11:18 PM

We are not back yet, still on extended vacation for another week. But, we have a whole bag with souvenirs. Almost all of them are wood carvings including carved boxes.

We looked at Tanzanite and although nice quality, the price was nothing spectacular. You don't go to Tanzania for deals on Tanzanite.

One more week to go then back home. I have over 1500 pictures and 100 short videos. How in the world does anyone sort through these?
enjoy,
Duane
Jul 17th, 2007, 02:39 PM

Duane, it just takes time. Especially if you're going to edit the videos. Are you from Australia? The US has no problem with wood, but one country does and I think it may be Australia. But would like to hear from an Australian who tried to bring in wooden souvenirs from Africa.