Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Best Side of Airplane for Photos of Pans?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 08:07 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This past weekend I was reading Julian's Botswana trip report from June 2006 and he mentioned, "I’d hope to get some shots of the Makgadikgadi Pans from the plane, but it turned out that I was on the wrong side of the plane to get a good view of them. I reminded myself to sit on the opposite side when I left."

We have a similar flight from Maun to the Pans (heading to Camp Kalahari) and I was wondering what side of the aircraft to sit on to get some aerial photos of the Pans? Based on the maps, I am guessing it would be the right side (facing forward inside the plane).

We have several other air transfers on our safari as well.
*Maun to Xigera
*Xigera to Lechwe Island Camp
*Linyanti Trails Camp to Northern Chobe (I think this is Kasane)
*Livingstone to JNB (best view of Victoria Falls?)

Any advice on a preferred side of the aircraft for taking photos would be appreciated.

With only 3 weeks to go, I am more than excited. Reading this forum has been great with all the fantastic advice provided by the wonderful experts here.

Thanks
sarah

Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:03 AM

I'm sure you get some good advice here and I have no knowledge of these specific flights but I would suggest that you ask at the airport and specifically try to speak to the pilot ASAP and tell him/her what you want and let them suggest seating. If they know you have an interest, they may make an effort to get you a good viewing angle.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 09:53 AM

Please let us know what you think of Xigera. It does not seem to be oft-reported on here, and I'd like to get a better idea of what it's like.

Have fun!
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 03:21 PM

Re pans: I guess it mainly depends on wind direction and how the pilot approaches Tsigaro Airstrip. When I was there (October) landings and take-offs were done in E-W direction, and for that the left seat would be the better one. However, the air above the pans was such hazy that you couldn't make a good photo at all. I made some nice shots above Makgadikgadi Park in southern direction; the area is the same on both sides but it was midday and the sun was shining from North. Thus the southern (right) seat might be better if you go to Tsigaro.
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:14 PM

Hello,

I was on the left side of the plane, and the Pans were visible out of the right side on the way there from Maun. They were on the left side on the way back from Maun -- I did sit on that side on the way back and got some reasonable shots.

Cheers,
Julian
Old Apr 10th, 2007, 04:32 PM

About what pans are we talking here? If I put the flight path on Google Earth I see some salty spots but mainly grass pans.