Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Best point and shoot - Canono 750 or Panansonic DMCTZ# or ? (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/best-point-and-shoot-canono-750-or-panansonic-dmctz-or-710208/)

13moons Jun 3rd, 2007 03:40 PM

Best point and shoot - Canono 750 or Panansonic DMCTZ# or ?

I want to get a pocket size P & S to take along with other gear on trip to Rwanda / Kenya. What does anyone recommend? I have bee told to check out the canon and Lumix mentioned above.
Also, best lens to take with 30D? I am trying to compact my load I have a 10D, 30D, 18 - 55 2.8IS, 24 - 105 Is, 70 - 200 2.8 IS and 1.4x any thoughts? What is best to use on gorilla treks?
rhoda

hills27 Jun 3rd, 2007 04:32 PM

If you already have a Canon, I recommend getting another because you won't have to learn new controls and symbols. It makes things a lot easier.

I have a 30D and an SD900. The SD900 takes great pictures, but the time lag drives me crazy. It's impossible to take candids. I am too used to the immediancy of an SLR.

Duane Jun 3rd, 2007 04:37 PM

I love my Cannon Power Shot SD700IS. Fits into my pocket and takes great pictures. My wife gave me this for my birthday last year because I was tired of lugging a camera everywhere I go. I just stick this in my pocket and away we go. Oh yea, the 4 X optical zoom is sufficient for most uses.

enjoy,
Duane

mistadobalina Jun 3rd, 2007 06:46 PM

The Canon A710 has a 6x zoom - looked to be one of the best for an "in the pocket" camera. My wife just got one and really likes it. It also takes AA batteries, which is convenient, especially since my camera uses them as well.

fbirder Jun 4th, 2007 03:46 AM

Rhoda,

For the gorilla trek I'd take the 30D with the 70-200 and the 10D with the 24-105. I'd have the 1.4x conveter ready to put on the 70-200 if the gorillas were not very close.

I'm trekking for gorillas in Rwanda in Sept and I really wish I had a 70-200 for it - it's perfect for poor light. But I've decided that the 100-400 will have to do as I really do want that lens for the previous week in Kenya.

dssxxxx Jun 4th, 2007 04:47 AM

For a pocket P&S......TZ3, hands down.

10X optical @ 7MP
12X optical @ 5MP
15X optical @ 3MP

All with IS.

And will fit in your pocket. Not tightly, but fit nicely. Will also fit in your shirt pocket.

cary999 Jun 4th, 2007 07:51 AM

TZ3 sounds like it has a lot going for it. But not for me because it does not have a viewfinder. You have to hold the camera out and look at the back to take a photo. Guess I'm an old timer, but I won't do that with a camera. YMMV.
regards - tom

dssxxxx Jun 4th, 2007 09:59 AM

Yea......I thought the same.

After using for a couple days, got used to it and it's no big deal now.

cougfan Jun 4th, 2007 06:04 PM

Rhoda,

I purchased the TZ3, as a back up for my Panny FZ30, for our upcoming safari in Sept. While on vacation I took it to the Valley of Fire by Las Vegas and it took great pictures. Even in the bright sun I could see the screen. It does take some getting used to, no viewfinder, but for the size and 10X optical zoom it is a nice little camera.

Julie