Search

Blue Jeans in Botswana

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 04:03 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Blue Jeans in Botswana

We were thinking of having blue jeans as one of our pairs on long pants (travel last 2 weeks of May). What do you think? Will they really attrack the Tetse fly? Will they dry out when laundered?

We love our jeans - would like to take them over khackis but looking for someone with experience to let us know if this is a good or bad idea.
Thanks
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 05:47 PM

Well, if you are subject to the 12KG weight limit they are not a good idea... and I wouldn't do it, unless they are tan, brown or olive jeans.
1. Most safari guides want you to wear earth colors only. White/ black and other colors stand out more and potentially attract animal attention (we were told.) I have had guides make someone change a white shirt or put an earth colored jacket on to cover other colors. Never saw anyone test them with blue jeans however...maybe they would be OK for a drive, where you are always sitting, but not for a walk.
2)The other problem is that laundry is done by hand and line-dried. Thicker things just don't dry as fast, and I'm not sure the humidity is low enough in May to dry heavy denim. (Especially if it is overcast, or drizzly, which is possible in May. Thick socks are also a problem this way...take a few extra pair. Mine always took an extra day to dry...and that was Sept., which is drier.
Thus you have a double problem-- jeans are heavy, so you can't take as many pair...and they take longer to dry, so they may not be good for same day laundry service...
Old Apr 23rd, 2004, 09:56 PM

I was in Botswana last year the same time you are going. It is hot in the daytime. You will not want jeans. And everything tashak said was true.
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 12:07 PM

And we really did find pale blue attracted the Tsetse ... and their bite is sharp - you can feel them AS they bite... grrr!
Old Apr 24th, 2004, 03:30 PM
sandi

If you're that intent on wearing jeans, then wear them when you fly to/between camps so not to add weight to your luggage, and in the evenings. Don't wear them during game walks. As long as you're in a vehicle there shouldn't be any problem. Though I've never heard of a guide asking someone change clothing in any African country.

But as mentioned above, if you plan to have them laundered, they'll take forever to dry, unless you put them on damp and they'll dry molded to your body.

I've worn jeans, stonewashed and black (mostly for dinner), as I too hate khaki pants, though as walking shorts they're fine.