Best place to buy Maleria Meds

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have searched the board and cannot find the thread that discussed the best places to by the maleria medication.

I checked at Costco today and they said about $113.00 for 21 day supply. How long before you leave do you start and how long after you return do you continue.

Does this sound like a good price. I have not checked anyplace else as yet.
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:33 PM

If you are speaking of Malarone, yes, Costco has a good price. You take one the day before you are in a malarial area, and one a day while in a malaria active zone, then one a day for 7 days after you are out of the "zone" altogether. So figure your safari (not including Joberg,) plus 8 days. I would also ask at Walmart, and your drugstore, Savon, Eckerds, or whatever as well for the best price! Last safari, I bought from the travel doc- what a mistake!!! $500- for 32 pills- you can bet I won't do that again!!! I would buy from a Canadian pharmacy before I went that route!!! Good Luck on your price shopping!!
Old Feb 9th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Original Poster

We will be 5 days in Cape Town then 3 days at Mala Mala and then one day in JB before we actually start in Botswana. Do we need the Malerone in Mala Mala? If so I guess we start it while in Cape Town. What reactions if any can we expect.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 03:57 AM

Might it make sense to buy the meds in Capetown? Would a prescription from a US doctor be honored there and if so, would the price be any better than in the US?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 05:19 AM

I remember the thread on Malarone costs and I think most of the best prices were between $5.50 and $6 in the US, so the price you were quoted at Costco is pretty much in that range. Some people were paying much higher than this.

Bill
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:18 AM
sandi

While my Malarone covered by insurance with only a small co-pay, the $113 from Costco is a good price.

If stopping in CPT first, you can start you pills here, before heading to Mala Mala, where meds are required; then daily in Mala Mala and Botswana, and for 7-days upon returning home.

You should take these with food, preferably dairy products - milk, yougurt, cheese, etc. the reason to take pills in the morning when these items are served.

Old Feb 10th, 2007, 06:50 AM

Crunchy,
I asked the SA travel agent I dealt with last year about buying Malarone in Capetown. She said the price would be about the same as here, but I never checked to see if that was true. I got them from a Canadian pharmacy and had no problems. Paid about $4 a pill.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 08:58 AM

Thanks, Panecott...
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:33 AM
Original Poster

Thanks for the input. As always Costco seems to be the best. I am going to check with Express Scripts that my insurance company uses but otherwise Costco it is. Also thanks for the information about taking in the morning with dairy products. I am really starting to feel like we are actually taking this trip as I had my first in the series of Hep A&B shots and tetnus yesterday. We had these 10 years ago when we went to China be needed to redo them. Does anyone know if we need polio boosters?
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 10:40 AM

You should check with the CDC, or a travel medicine doctor for specific medical advice on the polio update. I do "believe" that I got my polio (DPT) updated before my last safari, and that the travel doc said that it would be good for the rest of my life. BUT YOU SHOULD CHECK WITH YOUR DOC.
Old Feb 10th, 2007, 12:36 PM

agree with suzic, but we did get polio booster for our first trip to Africa and it is good for life.
also check with your med insurer to see if Malarone is covered. i didn't think mine covered it but found out it was discounted to $2.61 a pill through my insurance co. (I paid $55.00 for 21 pills)