best place for honeymoon safari in may

Jan 9th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Original Poster

best place for honeymoon safari in may

Hi, everyone. My fiance and I would like to plan a 7-10 day safari for our honeymoon at the end of May. From the chart here http://www.africa-adventure.com/dsp_besttime.html, it looks like our best bet might be the Okavango Delta in Botswana. Is that right?

If not, where would the game viewing be best in the last week in May?

Ideally, I would like to spend a three or four nights in a high end honeymoon sort of place, and am open to suggestions for the other nights. I would love to do a couple of days on horseback, if possible. I am a serious rider, but he is not, so it would have to be with someone who could arrange alternative things for him to do.

Any suggestions appreciated. I'm very excited, but also overwhelmed by the options. Thanks. Steph
Jan 9th, 2005, 06:52 PM

Stefandsara: Great decision to plan a honeymoon safari...it will be both memorable and remarkable. I've done horseback safari in Botswana and highly recommend it. You can visit online at www.africanhorseback.com There are activities for non-riders, but it is geared for riders, as you can imagine. Last May a couple from Scotland was in our group. The newlywed husband had never ridden until he took four months of lessons to prepare for horseback safari. He stayed on his horse and had a great experience.

Keep in mind that Botswana is a bit more rustic than South Africa. You can use the search at the top of the page to read about various lodging and game viewing experiences. Some of the top South African reserves are Singita's properties, Londolozi, Phinda, etc..
Botswana's top properties are Mombo and Jao, but I enjoyed Vrumura and Chitabe, as well. It is possible to combine South Africa and Botswana. As I mentioned, there is a lot of good information on Fodors, just use the search. I'm happy to answer any specific questions, too.
Have fun planning!
Jan 10th, 2005, 02:22 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for your reply. After discussion with my fiance, I think we are heading for a non-horseback safari, just to be fair to him.

Also, I'm now considering Zambia, with Robin Pope Safaris. They got back to me with what seems like a good deal, and I think Zambia is a little cheaper. I am going to post a separate thread about their camps.

Search this Thread