Best month to see animals

Feb 7th, 2006, 09:23 PM
hh
Original Poster

Best month to see animals

Am thinking of going on a safari from 5th August to 20 August. Will be going to Kruger National Park, Ngorongoro Conservation Park, Amboseli National Park, Masai Mara National Reserve. Will we be guaranteed of seeing animals at this time of year. If not, what is the best month to go.
Feb 7th, 2006, 09:44 PM
santharamhari

HH, Hi! Nothing is ever guaranteed....however, instead of trying to do all the parks on the trip in 15 days, i recommend.......trying to do specific areas to maximize game viewing.

Usually August is very good in Botswana, which can easily be combined with a stay in one of the game reserves in the sabi sands, that borders the Kruger.

August is also very good in Masai Mara...

Feb 8th, 2006, 03:44 PM

Guaranteed to see some animals. August is a great game viewing month for the parks you listed. I like to go in August too.

Doing Kenya and Tanzania in 16 days sounds good. Adding Kruger may be a bit too much.

Care to share your whole itinerary?
Feb 8th, 2006, 03:55 PM

Hello,

Game-viewing at the places you mentioned should be good in August. However, it sounds like you're trying to cover a bit too much ground in one trip -- you'll need probably spend one day in transit to move from Kenya or Tanzania to South Africa for Kruger.

I'd be a bit concerned about spending more time on planes than viewing wildlife, and would recommend saving Kruger for another trip. Many people here spend two weeks in just Kenya or Tanzania, but you can certainly do both if you're willing to fly from place to place -- driving is cheaper, but will eat up a lot of time. In August, I'd choose Kenya for the Migration.

Cheers,
Julian

Search this Thread