Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Tanzania: Kusini or CC Under Canv early Feb?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts

Hi,
I'd like to stay at Kusini Camp next year in early Feb, but wonder if this will likely be close enough to the migration? I know this year was different with all the rains so the animals were more toward Ndutu...but usually, would Kusini be OK without really long game drives? My other consideration is CCA Under Canvas mobile tents. Thanks for any advice.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
While I'm at it, I might as well reply to this barefootbeach post as well. We have only been to Tanzania once, just recently, so my knowledge is limited (caveat reader). Everyone will tell you that you just never know where the migration will be, but I thought it was amazing so it would be worth it for you to try to maximize your chances of seeing it. When we were there at the first of March, most of the migration was in the Ndutu area but inside the Ngorongoro Conservation Area (where our movable camp fortuitously happened to be located), rather than in the Serengeti NP, but that changes quickly and is unpredictable. Keep in mind, at least I think this is the case, that you can't go into both the NCA and the Serengeti NP without paying the fees for both. Kusini is, I believe, a permanent camp in SNP. As one way to maximize your chances of being close to the migration, you might want to consider one of the mobile type camps that move periodically with the intention of following the migration, such as the CCA Under Canvas that I think you mentioned in another thread. Of course all of your options will come with different costs, which may vary significantly, so unless money is no object keep that in mind.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:45 AM

Sorry, my feeble brain got confused, I see that you already are considering CCA Under Canvas, but there are also other mobile camps.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM

We were at Ndutu for a week in late January and drove toward Kusini a couple of times ... I asked my driver about Kusini (thinking of going there myself some day), he said he had been there several times and if the animals are there it's wonderful but if they are not it's not very good (for wildlife photography anyway) because there isn't much resident game.

I think the tented mobile camps would be more likely to be closer to the big herds. Some people on Fodor's seem to think these follow the migration but that's misleading as they are limited to a few select areas. However being able to move to one of a small number of areas will usually give you a better chance at finding the herds than being in a single location.

FWIW, at Ndutu in January we saw the big herds twice, once south of Gol kopjes in Serengeti (about 2 hours east/north-east from Ndutu) and once about 45 minutes due south in the NCA, an area they weren't in two days before when we checked it out. So no matter where you stay you might have a decent drive to reach the herds, which 'mow the lawn' pretty quickly in any given area and thus are constantly shifting around. At Kusini you are on the edge of the plains while at other places like Ndutu you are closer to the center and so will typically have a wider area you can access in the same amount of time.

Bill

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 09:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 79 Likes on 10 Posts
Thanks again guys! Do you have any knowledge of other mobile tents, such as Olakira, Sayari, TUC or Nomad as an alternative to CCA Under Canvas?
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:05 AM

CCAfrica Under Canvas is the same as Tanzania Under Canvas (TUC). We thought TUC was great.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 10:55 AM

Taxes? It's not April 14 yet, is it?

We stayed at Olakira in early March 2007, and at that time it was inside the NCA, but was going to move to another campsite shortly after we were there. Apparently the various camps have to reserve campsites, and where they are and for how long depends on what they can reserve.

The manager at Olakira told us that Asilia prefers less crowded areas, and since Ndutu area is becoming more crowded with mobile or semi-mobile camps every year, Olakira may not be in the Ndutu area next year. We saw at least two other camps high up on ridges fairly close to Olakira, and from a distance they looked like nice, large tents, but I do not know what camps they were.
Old Mar 26th, 2007, 02:30 PM
sandi

Mobile/seasonal - they do not move daily or weekly to catch the herds. They (Nomad's, TUC, Olakira, Sayari South, EMC) reserve campsites in the Serengeti and Ndutu areas. Then depending on the herd movements, will move the camp if necessary. This year was most unusual with most of these camps usually scheduled for the southern serengeti, up and moved to Ndutu en mass.

Who knows what next year will bring? And remember, there have been a few years when the herds never made is south of Seronera (believe that was 5/yrs ago). You do your best to plan, but don't sweat it, as a reputable outfitter will see to it that you catch up to the herds somewhere. Yes, on some days, the game drives will be longer than expected; on others, the herds maybe right outside your tent. But they can move just as quickly and be gone in a few hours... moving to greener pastures.

Old Mar 26th, 2007, 07:31 PM

I just stayed at TUC in February and thought the camp was awesome. Actually my favorite part of the trip. Stayed in Camp 3 which was well managed and the food was excellent. Our timing was good in that the herds were in the area of the camp.