Best in Botswana

Feb 8th, 2004, 04:14 PM
Original Poster

Best in Botswana

I will be in Africa for first time and wanted to stay at Mombo and Jao in Botswana but not available. Our agents are recommending Xigera Camp and Duma Tau Camp. Any experience at either of these camps? My husband is reluctant to do the trip - I need total luxury to make him happy. Want to see lots of animals. Already booked in Singita - trying for Phinda
Feb 8th, 2004, 04:59 PM

My wife and I were at Mombo and Duma Tau last year(Sorry, no info on Xigera). While Duma Tau doesn't have the luxury of Mombo, I liked it better. The game sightings seemed to be as good, if not better than Mombo. Our guide at Duma was Peace. He was the best of the three that we had. The only thing about Mombo that I liked better than Duma was the managers, Nico and Kristi. The Duma managers were good, but Nico and Kristi were over the top. However, I believe some if not all of the managers rotate, so who knows who will be there when you go. My point is that by substituting Duma for a sold-out Mombo, I don't think you will miss much. Sorry your husband is reluctant. It's a fantastic trip!!!
Feb 9th, 2004, 07:49 AM

I am noticing that alot of you like the Mombo and Joa in Botswana.

Is there a website for more info

Thanks
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:20 AM

In my experience, all of the Wilderness main camps are great (Mombo and Jao are over the top and you'll be paying for an extra sitting room and more luxurious decor), but I would suggest getting the Wilderness catalogue and going where the activities and wildlife viewing suit your interests. Different parts of the Delta are known for different things. I stayed at Chitabe (b/c I wanted to see wild dogs) and Savuti (for its predators and I saw lion, dog, serval, aardwolf, caracal, jackal) and the places are great.
Feb 9th, 2004, 08:21 AM

Website to look at Mombo and other Wilderness Safaris camps is http://www.wilderness-safaris.com - you'll see the camps listed on there.

I've heard Jao is as lovely as Mombo in terms of accommodation but can't say I've read any positive feedback about it being particularly good in terms of game viewing. Not that I've heard negatives either, just that, for the other camps, I've read and heard lots about the excellent game viewing.

Search this Thread