Travel insurance for two weeks safari in Kenya and Tanzania

Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 8th, 2004, 09:41 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I would like to find out how much did you pay for your travel insurance before your departure from the US

What your insurance covered and what did not cover? Did you buy it from your TA or did you use your own independent sources?
We are going to Kenya and Tanzania in January 2005 and hope to make the best decission. Please help me to decide who to chose and what our insurance has to cover.
Old Feb 8th, 2004, 12:40 PM
sandi

I have no idea what your TA is offering, but a good site for Trip Cancel/Interruption insurance is:

www.insuremytrip.com

the big companies are listed - Access America, CSA, Travel Guard etc and you can compare. It's best to read what "is not covered" and sometimes depending on where you live (which state) there are exclusions or extra coverage.

On average the industry figures that this type of insurance costs 6% per $100. And many policies these days break out costs by age groups. Remember anything about your own pre-existing conditions or if you have an ill relative at home who might cause you to cancel/interrupt your trip (dealth or hospital visit) - this can be a tricky item.

Our main concern was always Evacuation Coverage should an accident occur. You might want to check a company called Medjet that provides fully equipped medical/surgical plane support worldwide anywhere from 50-miles from your home and the annual family cost is about $300.

It is best you ask these insurance companies from "insuremytrip" to send their brochures - compare what each offers and the prices. We've used CSA, Access America and Travel Guard over the years. So you have choices depending on your situation.

Old Feb 9th, 2004, 04:49 AM

topping

(notice there wasn't even a thank you for the lone piece of advice)
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:00 AM
Original Poster

You are right roccco, i waited for more responses.
Thank you sandi
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 05:01 AM

Perhaps, Roccco, within the past 18 hours Pat hasn't had an opportunity to get back online. Sheesh.

Pat, We too used insuremytrip.com to narrow down our choices and ended up with Travel Insured International. It was more expensive than I'd budgeted - around $600 for two people if I recall correctly - considering I've never bought travel insurance before. But it covered absolutely everything, from trip cancellation to lost luggage to medical. We'd hoped to find something that only covered trip cancellation but were only able to find insurance covering a wide range of services. Turned out for the best though, since our digital camera was lost / stolen on the second day in Kenya but was thankfully covered.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 06:37 AM

hlphillips,

The reason for bringing this up is because Pat DID have enough time to get online to flame the person who offered advice, so not being online wasn't really the issue. Anyway, I don't want to beat a dead horse.
Old Feb 9th, 2004, 07:47 AM

Sorry Roccco, I rarely look at names of posters and just try to absorb the advice.

It must be Monday. People aren't happy to be back at work and claws are out. ;-)

I still recommend Travel Insured International. One more thing about them... when we had to make our claim they were extremely efficient and professional, answered all of our questions on the phone and were very clear about what we needed to do. If you're going to spend the money on travel insurance, I'm (especially now) of the opinion that it's better to get a company that's highly rated and has good service. Perhaps others have had experience with different companies.