Anyone heard of Phakawe Safaris?

Old Jan 23rd, 2004, 05:05 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone heard of Phakawe Safaris?

Anyone done a safari with Phakawe in Botswana? I'm considering using the company and would like any references - good or bad.

Thanks,

wendu
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 09:28 AM

Hello-

I'm planning a camping safari in Botswana for May 2005. I initially considered Phakawe but after some research I crossed them off and narrowed my choices to the Mopane Safari with Wilderness Safaris and the Botswana Explorer with CCAfrica. I'm sure Phakawe is good but let me explain my reasoning.

I had seen Phakawe's Lonely Planet endorsement but I wanted more info. At Barnes & Noble I read a review (I believe from one of the few travel books dedicated to Botswana) that questioned the "bargain" nature of the company. When you look carefully at the itinerary, it's really not a value compared to the Mopane of CCAfrica trip. Comparing Phakawe's Northern Parks tour to those other two:

1. No flight into the Okavango Delta w/ Phakawe.
-Most sources say that the best of the Delta is inaccessible by car.
-This means even more hours driving, and a wasted overnight in Maun.
2. The other two companies make camp in private concessions, while Phakawe seems to be catch as catch can.
3. Victoria Falls is not included in the Phakawe itinerary. Maybe you're not that interested but I suspect it has more to offer than that overnight in Maun (see #1).

Obviously, I am speaking only from my internet research, but since the other two safaris offer much more for just another 200-300 dollars, I challenge the assertion that Phakawe is "the best value in Botswana." If you're really on a tight budget check out Kiboko Adventures (more driving and bigger group size, but a little cheaper).
Old Jan 24th, 2004, 11:37 PM

I think this is a joke! Put "where the" in front of the name and then sound it out. Maybe they are trying to tell you something!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 12:29 PM

Kim you made me snort out loud with laughter!!!!
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:49 PM

I think the tour company was named that on purpose. When I initially googled Phakawe, I found (with some difficulty) a diary of a couple's round-the-world trip. They did a safari with the group, and recounted that the founder named it for the punchline of a joke involving a tribe of pygmies who couldn't see above the tall grass.

I tried to find the page before my initial post to this thread, as I generally recalled the couple had a positive experience (aside from a jeep breakdown, I believe). Unfortunately, the link appears appears to be broken now. The company's website is www.phakawe.demon.co.uk, but I don't think there's any explanation of the name there.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 01:50 PM

Kimwhits, that is the exact reaction that I had. I also thought it was a joke.
Old Jan 25th, 2004, 04:35 PM

We're taking a Botswana safari with ccafrica in May -- I just looked for it on the website and see it's no longer offered, but we're all signed sealed and paid for and I'm quite excited about it. They have been quite delightful to deal with and I think we'll have a lovely time.