Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Best Deal for Safari Fly Packages from CPT or JNB to Kruger?

Best Deal for Safari Fly Packages from CPT or JNB to Kruger?

Jan 10th, 2004, 05:22 AM
Original Poster

Best Deal for Safari Fly Packages from CPT or JNB to Kruger?

My partner and I are planning our trip to S.A. for December over Xmas and we want to spend at least 5 days in CPT. In addition, we also would like to do a 3 day safari as inexpensively as possible. Is it cheaper to buy a 3 day package once we arrive in either CPT or JNB?

Since are time is limited we would like to fly to Kruger as opposed to driving from JNB.
Jan 10th, 2004, 06:33 AM
sandi

Well, if for Christmas you'd better book ahead of time and way before you leave home. Do not wait till you arrive in-country. And likewise once you decide where you will be staying in Kruger, book your flights in/out.

Since you don't mention budget, personally I would put more money on safari, than CPT.

If you'd give us some idea of what kind of buget you are considering, you could get some recommendations for both Kruger and Capetown areas.

Jan 10th, 2004, 07:06 AM
Original Poster

Hi Sandi,

As far as CPT budget we are all set on accomodations, etc. As far as the safari, we want something that isn't too expensive but yet affordable and convenient. After a 17 hour flight from ATL the thought of getting in a car for 6 hours to drive to Kruger isn't appealing that's why we would prefer to fly up there. We don't need luxury for the Safari but we don't want to sleep in a tent either. I guess modest is the best description...Thanks for any advice/recommnedations that you may have..

Jan 10th, 2004, 01:32 PM
sandi

george_scott -

Sleeping in a tent is what Africa is all about. I personally don't consider having had a true African experience unless I spend some time under canvas. I've done so in Kenya, Tanzania, and South Africa and it's just about the best decision I've ever made.

Now we're not talking about a pup-tent, but tents with comfy beds, fine linens, down comforters, flush toilets, running hot & cold water; some have had electricity and others have not.

Check the following site:
www.e-gnu.com

which lists a good many of the accommodations available in various countries in Africa. Just select South Africa, then the Mpumalanga area which is where Kruger is located. Then search thru and there are lots to review. Since you know your budget, it would be best that you see what the going rates are - these will be listed for each lodge/camp, and for the time period you expect to be visiting - Christmas.

Once you've selected places in your budget you can come back here and inquire of us Africaphiles our opinions.

As to tents, if you wish to consider, we stayed at Honeyguide on the Manyeletti Private Reserve which we loved and believe price-wise ran about $250pppn (which includes your 3-meals, which were pretty good, your safari drives; beverages juice, soda, alcohol are extra, though morning coffee/tea and cookies at 6:30am are free). For this camp you would fly from JNB into Hoedspruit, believe sometime between 10-11am, 1-hr flight, then there would be a road transfer to the camp, about 45-minutes.

There is also Ngala Tents, located in Kruger Park, and I believe a bit more expensive, but check e-gnu for prices or email Ngala Lodge for details if it's not listed (Tents is about 3-yrs old).

Depending on when you arrive in JNB, realize that flights to Kruger area (for Hoedspruit there is only that morning flight) don't run on the hour, unless you arrange for a private charter (expensive). Once you decide where and if flight schedules go against you, then stay at an airport hotel (there is a Holiday Inn) right on airport property, but short shuttle bus, then depart next morning on scheduled flight.

But first see what you find on e-gnu, and if anyone else has suggestions for you, I hope they respond here.

Search this Thread