Best Camp in Masai Mara

Nov 20th, 2004, 03:25 PM
Original Poster

Best Camp in Masai Mara

I appreciate your advice regarding tented camps in Masai Mara:
For special occasion - looking for the best luxury tented camp in Mara, and need your advice.if you can recommened which one is the best , location, luxury , etc.
For this special occasion it has to be superb in terms of luxury as much as possible.Thanks
Nov 20th, 2004, 03:55 PM

Hi balloo,
You didn't specify what time of the year you were going but for a luxury tented camp in the Mara, I would have to recommend Governor's Il Moran Camp. It has only ten tents and is located right on the Mara River.

The tents are spacious and beautifully decorated. Bathrooms are quite large and really nice and the beds are comfy. The staff, service and food at the camp is superb.

I would go back in a heartbeat if given a chance. It was one of my favorite places. You will not be disappointed.

I'll be happy to answer any questions you might have about the camp.

Nov 20th, 2004, 04:23 PM
Original Poster

divewop-thanks for fast reply.
I know it sounds strange but we manage to get few days off next week... we tried Bateluer which had only 2 nights available and we want at least 3.
I know it's a short notice but i still hpe to get a room in another deluxe camp, I had few options Governor's Moran was one of them but I knew nothing about it. So thanks a lot for your recommendation , I will try to book it in this short time.What do you think about the end of November in that area?
Dec 4th, 2004, 05:05 AM

Ill Moran gets my vote too. I've stayed both inside and outside the reserve and still likes it better inside.

At both Ill Moran and Little Governors, you can hear/see the hippos in the swamp and river. They come and feed next to the tents at night! Elephants like to walk through Little Govs in the late afternoon during their swamp visit!

The problem with staying outside is that you see cattle grazing everywhere! True, there is also wildlife and you can go on night drives, etc, but in my humble opinion the sight of cattle takes away the "wilderness" feeling. And the drives into the reserve can take 30 minutes to an hour - on bad roads!

Please don't get me wrong, I am all for supporting locally-supported camps outside the reserves but I can normally mix my stays with visits to both - but Ill Moran is tops when it comes to location and the feeling that you are in the wild (and the bit of luxury is pretty romantic too).

Search this Thread