Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > best allocation of 5 nights in Garden Route, Swartberg, Winelands

best allocation of 5 nights in Garden Route, Swartberg, Winelands

Jan 31st, 2006, 08:18 PM
Original Poster

best allocation of 5 nights in Garden Route, Swartberg, Winelands

Hi,

I'm having a tough time planning part of my trip, and wonder if anyone could give advice.

I'm struggling with the decision of how to allocate 5 nights between these places. Some of the activities I'm hoping to do are: hiking to waterfall near Storm's River, treetop tour near there, general Garden Route scenery viewing, biking down the Swartberg pass, driving down to Gamkaskloof/Die Hel from the pass, seeing winelands scenery and/or a winery tour or two. Extras would be boat trips in the ocean or rivers, snorkeling, horseback riding, and the Outeniqua Choo Tjoe train.

Driving down to Gamkaskloof would take most of a day. Any advice as to whether it's really worth it (it would mean a 2 night stay in or near Prince Albert, maybe one of those nights in Gamkaskloof)? Otherwise, I've been thinking

2 nights in Storm's River Restcamp
2 in Prince Albert or nearby guest farm
1 in winelands -- Lekkerwijn or Bartholomeus Klip

My main concerns are: am I missing any must-do activities; should I ditch Gamkaskloof and devote that night to
Jan 31st, 2006, 08:20 PM
Original Poster

Oops -- accidentally posted. To continue:

My main concerns are: am I missing any must-do activities; should I ditch Gamkaskloof and devote that night to winelands; or should I ditch winelands altogether (1 night seems very hurried) and add a night in Garden Route (maybe somewhere a little nicer like Hog Hollow or Overmeergh)?

All suggestions are welcome! Thanks,

Josh
Feb 1st, 2006, 07:00 AM

Die Hel is a fascinating drive but all the original inhabitants moved out a long time ago, there is some basic accommodation available right at the end, bear in mind the road is gravel and very rough, you really need a 4x4.

The downhill bike ride down the Swartberg Pass is great.

Storms River is great, the rest camp is a really great place the chalets are all close to the sea, the Indian Ocean will keep you awake at night. What could be better ?

You should also visit Knysna, although it is very touristy there is always plenty going on and lots to do.

Can you not extend your stay and carry on to the Eastern Cape and see the big 5.
Feb 1st, 2006, 07:35 AM
Original Poster

That's just part of the trip -- it'll be capped by some time at PE, Addo, Graaff-Reinet, and at Cape Town.

Thanks for the advice. We'll only have a compact rental, a Toyota Corolla or something, so it sounds like Gamkaskloof will be out just for practical reasons.

Also, it sounds like Outdshoorn is really the place to stay for better restaurants and accommodation, but Prince Albert kind of sounds like an interesting little place, and would be a more practical stopping point after the drive over the pass. Any thoughts? Or recommendations for food or lodging there (I've viewed the website with all the listings, but can't find much in the way of recommendations on this forum or elsewhere)?

Search this Thread