Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page >

Been to Tipilikwani Camp in the Mara? Is Talek area ok?

Jul 16th, 2009, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Has anyone heard of or been to this camp? I'd love to hear about it. I'm planning a group trip for next August, and it's coming in with a fairly reasonable rate, but I haven't heard too much about it. The website looks nice but a little 'thin'...
I'd also like any advice about staying in the Talek region in general. Some say it's too overdeveloped ...? The great site www.africatravelresource.com (which I found thru this forum (thanks!) is really negative about it, but I'm wondering if it'll matter for our group... we're a church group mainly in Kenya to help out at a children's home, and taking a 2-night sidetrip to the Mara at the end of our service.
Thanks in advance.
Jul 16th, 2009, 03:42 PM

For 2/nts, are you driving? Hope not, as it's a long one if from Nairobi and back again (almost 5/hrs each way). Takes up much of your 2/nts.

Tipilikwani is a fenced camp and right there at Talek which is busy and developed, so ATR is right on. However, some people like the area.

Ilkeliani Camp is in the area but a bit farther away from the actual village.

Maybe consider a camp actually inside the Reserve. Fig Tree, though larger than Tipili, gets positive reviews.

August though is peak season with peak prices, but between now and then there may be further reductions and/or deals if the economy doesn't improve. Though it's rare to get anything special for only 2/nts.

You have time to plan for next year, so suggest you get a few quotes from a few tour operators for comparison.
Jul 17th, 2009, 03:52 AM
Original Poster

Thanks, Sandi. Yes, we are definitely flying in! Sounds like Talek area may be a place we'd want to avoid. My only experience has been staying in the north conservancy -- which I loved because we never saw too many other people and the freedom to go offroad. You don't feel like you're in a 'park' (does the Reserve feel like that? We went to Sweetwaters once, and that definitely felt a little park-like.) But being there in migration season, though, makes me feel like maybe it'd be worth the tradeoff to be close to the action inside the Reserve.

We're also looking at Intrepids, Karen Blixen, Kicheche and Mara Safari Club (where we've stayed 2 other times). The last is prob. going to offer the best rates again, and the others are coming in all around $1050 (for 2 night-flyin pkg) -- we only paid $775 at Mara Safari Club in July 08! Who knew that would sound like such a good deal then?

Good to know that rates may go down some as we get closer, but booking for 10-18 people, I feel like I can't wait too long, especially if we want availibility in one of the smaller camps. Thanks for all your help. I'd love other input from any of you experts out there!
Jul 17th, 2009, 06:15 AM

Then you were at Mara Safari club after the renovations. It's a lovely camp, and for a large group if they offer the best rate, go for it. Intrepid's is better positioned for the migration, but likely to be more expensive... though for 18/paxs, maybe not.
Jul 17th, 2009, 08:58 AM

I understand what you mean about Sweetwaters and didn't feel the same way about the reserve. Did you enter the reserve when staying at Mara Safari Club previously? Setting aside the issue of cost, I'd personally prefer to be inside the reserve vs the area where Kicheche(main camp)/Mara Safari Club/etc are, though there are advantages to both. Technically Fig Tree is still outside of the reserve but on the other side of town from where Ilkeliani/Tipilikwani/etc are. The proximity of the town didn't bother us when we stayed at Ikeliani years ago but I understand the area has become more populated since then.