Bedouin Camp in Samburu?

Feb 22nd, 2006, 12:25 PM
Original Poster

Bedouin Camp in Samburu?

Does anyone have any experience with Bedouin Camp in Samburu? It looks lovely and the owner has a lot of guiding experience. Would love to hear any feedback.
Feb 22nd, 2006, 01:02 PM
sandi

An associated visited a few months back in the low-season. Not many guests, so the camp wasn't at full staff, nor providing full services as would be expected in the regular season. However, the tents are designed along the lines of those at Cottars (which if you saw my album photos) are quite lovely. All tents face the Ewaso Nyire River. I believe my friend arrived with their own guide, so can't comment on the "camp owner" (or it might me the manager) guiding qualifications. Though most all resident guides are excellent as are "bring your own" as Samburu is a regular stop and qualified guides know the area very well. Game viewing at Samburu is good always especially with the large ellee herds, reticulated giraffe, Grevy's zebra, gerenuk which are seen in these northern areas.

There's also the new Joy's Camp, opening this coming June, so no one has seen and there isnt much information besides that it will have 10 Bedouin Soali style tents overlooking the camps own natural spring which is the area's main wateing hole. The tents have permanent floors, each uniquely decorated with bedouin Somali cloth, sophisticated and stylish. Each is 80sq.meters with ensuite dressing room and flush loos, private veranda and deck; a lounge/bar and dining tent. And as a Cheli & Peacock property, the wonderful, outstanding Northern Italian cuisine as well as continental.

Situated on Joy Adamson's original camp land site, it's small, intimate and expensive. Though not in Samburu proper, rather in Shaba which is adjacent to Samburu as is Buffalo Springs.

Hope this helps.

Feb 23rd, 2006, 05:34 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Sandi. So I take it that your associate was not overly impressed with Bedouin Camp? Joy's camp sounds nice (we LOVE Italian food). I will stay tuned for pics when it is up and running.

Feb 23rd, 2006, 06:26 AM
sandi

It's rather difficult to arrive at a definite conclusion (pro or con) about any lodge/camp in off-season, when there are few guests and they don't have a full contingent of staff or guides.

Not unlike when we were at Cottar's, being the only guests for one of the nights here, though all attention was paid. Dinners were outstanding; breakfasts and lunches a bit sparten, but we sure didn't go hungry. Example: Only two juice choices, instead of maybe four or five. When there is a full-house, in-season, everything is overflowing.

There were a total of 6-guests only at Elephant Pepper Camp in the Mara, during the same trip - here everything was over-the-top - food, game drives, staff, etc. And at Saruni, the only camp at full capacity (12), all was simply outstanding.

The tents at Bedouin were lovely as was the view and there was plenty of wildlife, so one can't completely discount this option.

I recall a comment from one traveler who posted on Fodors having been at Cottar's during migration and found there was just "too much" happening and was rather disappointed.

Timing and expectations.

Search this Thread