beautiful, budget blowing beach- Mnemba or Maldives?

Feb 17th, 2006, 07:08 AM
Original Poster

beautiful, budget blowing beach- Mnemba or Maldives?

We are looking to include time at a gorgeous beach, following a safari.
Can anyone compare Mnemba and the Maldives?
I have heard the beaches/water in the Maldives are supposed to be among the most beautiful in the world? How would Mnemba compare?

As a side note, the maldives are surprisngly accessible from NBO, via Dubai (depart 5pm, arrive 8am). Flying on Emirates, you can affordably fly in to NBO and out of the Maldives for your flight back home.
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:25 PM

I haven't been to Mnemba, but I have spent a couple of days in the Maldives. We were on the island of Kudo Bandos for a day (no people live on this island), as well as Male. The beach on Kudo Bandos was nice, but would have been disapointing when compared with others I have been on - the sand was not that pristine white sand that you picture here, but it was still nice, just had a lot of seaweed and 'other colour than white' sand mixed in it! It was rocky right where I decided to go swimming and snorkeling, and I mean HUGE rocks in the ocean, but I will bet there are other islands that have the gentle sandy ocean bottoms where you swim!
The highlight of this island to me was the view of Male, it was incredible - it looked like a city built on water, there was no 'sloping off' down to the water - the city goes edge to edge on the island and it looks great from Kudo Bandos!
But the highlight of the Maldives was Male itself - I really liked it there. I loved exploring the markets, the mosques, the gardens, and the old palace. It is a very friendly place with lots of activity along the shore line, I was fascinated watching everyone and everything.
And considering which day I was there, this should tell you something about how friendly the island is - we were there, on this 100% Sunni Muslim Island, the day after Bush declared war on Irag in March of 2003.
I'd go again in a heartbeat to the Maldives, but not necessarily for the beaches.
Feb 18th, 2006, 12:38 PM

One other place to consider:

http://www.chelipeacock.com/camps/manda.htm

Search this Thread