Opening a can of worms

Old Feb 3rd, 2003, 02:45 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Opening a can of worms

I would be keen to know what other regular Fodorites think about the new format of registration and publishing on this page.

In my opinion the fact that we cannot show our email addresses really sucks. What this effectively means is that there is no way we can contact one another other than by writing on the Fodors page.

I have not attempted to do this as yet but I assume that if one places your email address within the content of your mail then the mail will be discarded.

Lets here what you think about this all fellow Fodorites!

Selwyn Davidowitz
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 07:44 AM

Selwyn
Having experienced the sheer nutters on the Europe forum myself I am for registering IF Fodors make use of it to reduce trolls.
Otherwise I am ambivalent.
I also would like an option within my profile page to allow me to choose whether my email address is displayed or hidden.

In the meantime I believe there is no problem with inserting it into the body of my message.

Kavey
[email protected]
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 08:48 AM
Original Poster

Hi Kavey,

I agree wholeheartedly about registering especially because of the "nutters" as you put it.

I am unsure of whether one is allowed to place ones email address in the body of ones mail and am going to do so in this mail and my future mails as an experiment. If this is allowed then that would be great because it does give us all the option if we want to be contacted or not.

Furthermore if this facility is allowed I will withdraw my description of "this sucks" and thereafter commend Fodors very positively for this new registration function.

Even though it would be great if someone from Fodors enters this debate and gives us some guidelines at this stage lets see what happens.

Selwyn Davidowitz
[email protected]
Old Feb 4th, 2003, 10:49 AM

Now, if I can get this reply to work.....

Selwyn, apart from the glitches in posting that they need to get worked out,I am very much in favor of registration and the new format. The Africa board has always been mostly polite and reasonable, but if you have ever spent any time on the Europe and USA boards, you know that there were some really malicious posters and often it degenerated into the computer equaivalent of a Jerry springer show.
Weekends were particularly bad.I am glad that you can still post your e-mail and that this will still work for you. It seems that the boord is more travel related now. Ironic, isn't it!

Old Feb 7th, 2003, 11:38 AM

Looking at is as just an African issue, I think it stinks! And that is how I looked at it until I read what Waverley said. I suppose I thought everyone who came to fodors was basically polite like they are in here. On that issue I guess I will stand corrected though I have no first hand experience with rude people here.
I too wish they would state a policy about the use of URLs for all the reasons Selwyn states. At this moment, I feel almost unwelcome as Karen from golf-travel-packagessouthafrica.com
since I basically agreed not to self promote. That worked fine as long as my email address showed. I wrote fodors but they never answered and I notice they have not entered into this discussion either. I came in one night and there were only about 2 new questions for the entire continent on the board. I do think the regular responders like Selwyn and Kavey perform a useful service to travellers. It seems so many come to this country thinking in terms of 3rd world and just as many go to real 3rd world countries thinking in terms of 1st world and they are the ones most likely to get into situations over here that they do not expect and that are unpleasant. Well, those are my thoughts on the subject. Over to you Selwyn
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 08:18 AM

I think these days many in people I know are coming to realise that some parts of SA have a much higher standard of living than we do here in London - Cape Town and the area around it, for example. Certainly not 3rd world!

That said, SA is such a vast country that it's hard to generalise about it since each region is probably very different.

I don't know when we'll get to visit...

What's SA climate like in July?
Old Feb 8th, 2003, 04:03 PM

I, myself, was a little annoyed that I had to register my Screen Name, especially after the name that I have used for the last 18 months was already taken. Other than that, however, I don't mind that my email is not shown.

Truth be told, while I have received numerous emails regarding advice about South Africa and Chile from other Fodorites, after taking the time and effort to answer these emails, rarely did these people even bother to respond with a simple "Thank you."

If it will cut down on the trolls, as little as a problem as it may have been in the Africa & Middle East Forum as it was, then I am all for it.
Old Feb 9th, 2003, 11:50 AM

When I said," It seems so many come to this country thinking in terms of 3rd world and just as many go to real 3rd world countries thinking in terms of 1st world" I was not putting down anyone. I sell tours here and I meet both the well informed and the totally lost about both South Africa and the rest of the continent. I have had some very well educated people figure they could hop in their Ford, drive from here to Cairo and stop off at upscale B & Bs all the way there. I have had an equal number come here expecting to see shanties everywhere except Cape Town where they do not expect to see any at all. Obviously, a lot of travellers do not frequest fodors or they would be less ill informed.
About the weather in July, it depends where you go. The Cape is chilly and windy, Durban is usually cool to warm, inland and up in the mountains it is like London in March minus the humidity. It's a good time to see Kruger as the malaria threat is way down - usually it's around 0 to very little threat in July. The days are often sweater weather and the nights are chilly to cold.
Karen