Go Back  Fodor's Travel Talk Forums > Destinations > Africa & the Middle East
Reload this Page > Beachs on the coast of Tanzania- Lazy Lagoon or Ras Kutani?

Beachs on the coast of Tanzania- Lazy Lagoon or Ras Kutani?

Feb 23rd, 2005, 04:54 AM
Original Poster

Beachs on the coast of Tanzania- Lazy Lagoon or Ras Kutani?

RuthieC's trip report to Southern Tanzania mentions a stay at Lazy Lagoon. Ruthie- can you or someone else please provide some more feedback on this beachresort? www.tanzaniasafaris.info/LazyLagoon/intro.htm

Also has anyone been to Ras Kutani on the mainland coast? Also looks lovely in pictures. http://selous.com/rasoverview.htm

It seems that either of these properties would make a great combination with a stay in the Selous or Ruaha.How do these places compare to Zanzibar or Mafia?
Feb 23rd, 2005, 05:00 AM
sandi

If you've visited the Selous or Ruaha, a stay at either Lazy Lagoon or Ras Kutani negate the need to "fly". From Dar you'd have to fly to either Zanzibar or Mafia. While Zanzibar is a large diverse island with many options for accommodations and sightseeing besides just R&R at a beach resort; Mafia is a smaller island, with limited accommodations and is ideal for avid divers. Accommodations here are all inclusive and can be a bit more expensive than staying on the mainland or heading to Zanzibar. It depends on your specific requirements.

Feb 24th, 2005, 04:30 AM
Original Poster

TTT

RuthieC come in please, and tell me more about Lazy Lagoon

Feb 24th, 2005, 02:22 PM

Sorry, I've been working too hard and neglected my Fodor friends!

Have to say that Lazy Lagoon was a bit of a let down after an incredible holiday staying at some of the other Foxes locations.

The location looks stunning in the photos, but in fact it's almost impossible to swim off the island unless you are a really strong swimmer - this was a huge disappointment for me. The photos don't show the large reef of rocks between the cabins and the sea - these make for very dangerous swimming as there are many submerged jagged rocks. In the area where there are no rocks the currents looked too strong &, even though I was brought up swimming off the West Wales coast, I didn't dare risk it.

Another downside was that the staff & family quarters were very close to the cabins & we were often disturbed either by crying babies or barking dogs.

Having said that, we were well looked after by the managers and enjoyed just lazing by the sea & doing a bit of walking along the endless stretch of sand. So it wasn't all bad.

Can't help with any comparisons as this is the only beach resort we've stayed at. We don't bother any more as the safari pull is so great that every penny and every day's holiday is focused on animals & birds rather than on being at a beach resort.

I have noticed though that a couple of Agents that we have used in the past don't seem to offer Lazy Lagoon any more - I think Sunvil have removed it from their brochure but they are all still selling Ras Kutani so I guess that says something about them.
Feb 24th, 2005, 05:07 PM
Original Poster

Thanks for the very useful feedback Ruthie. The pictures do look great, but I am glad to hear the "real deal" from you.
I have also noticed that some agents, like AfricaTravelResource, which recommend RasKutani,do not recommend LazyL. Oh well, but so many other wonderful animals and places to see in Africa. Thanks again for the feedback.

Search this Thread