Reload this Page >

The Best African Safrai Lodges

Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 16th, 2001, 09:12 PM
Peter

What are considered the best in South Africa as far as all around expierence, money not being an object. Game viewing, luxury, food, personalized service, decor, extras etc. everything including fun loving interesting host and fellow guests. How about Tented vs. Lodges? What would you consider top 3-4 now and why? Thanks, Peter

Old Jun 17th, 2001, 12:55 AM
Nigel

"The Best" depends on your own expectations, but for me: <BR> <BR>Makgadikgadi Camp in the Kalahari Desert, a totally unique experience, safaris on 4x4 Quad motorcycles so as not to harm the fragile environment, Prince William has just spent 8 days there - so presumably he agrees!! <BR> <BR>Tena Tena Camp in the South Luangwa National Park, an intimate Camp with excellent Game Viewing and Walking Safaris with Robin Pope - the acknowledged expert on the area. <BR> <BR>Delta Camp in the Okavango Delta - what every Safari Lodge should be like- environmentally sensitive allowing nothing to harm or interfere with the fragile eco-system of the Delta - motors are banned, all rubbish is sorted and flown out of the Delta, the chalets are built around the trees rather than cutting them down! <BR> <BR>Abu Camp - Elephant back safaris, a truly remarkable way of experiencing the magic of Africa <BR> <BR>They are my favorite 4, but it will be interesting to read of other's favorites.

Old Jun 18th, 2001, 06:56 AM
local

Peter <BR> <BR>Londolozi, Mala Mala and Sabi Sabi jump to mind but as they are way out of my price range, I have not been to any of them so can not give first hand report - sorry.

Old Jun 21st, 2001, 12:36 PM
melissa

I agree on Delta camp (in Botswana) - absolutely wonderful: small, intimate, great food, animals everywhere, mokoro & walking trips. Friends say Singita (SA) is wonderful, it looks amazing in the pictures. <BR>

Old Jun 28th, 2001, 01:19 PM
mark

Stayed at Singita in South Africa this January. The room was bigger than my townhouse apartment in NYC. There are two games drives early morning and late afternoon. My favorite though was walking with the ranger and stalking rhino and "accidentially" encountaring two lions.

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 01:56 AM
kavey

Haven't stayed at the ones above but just returned from a trip involving a number of permanenet tented lodges (some on ground and some on stilted platforms) all marketed by Wilderness Safaris. <BR> <BR>The rooms were very good, the food great and the guided drives and boat trips etc fabulous. <BR> <BR>The Mombo camp in the Okovango (we chose Little Mombo) was by far the most luxurious camp, the "room" was more a tented suite, the bathroom alone was the size of many hotel rooms and you also had a huge veranda with an outdoor bed and a 2ndary outdoor shower. <BR> <BR>For anyone who has been to Mombo, they have completely rebuilt a km or 2 away from the previous location and this time gone Lux. <BR> <BR>We also adored the privately run Wolwedans Dune Lodge in Namibia, which has the best food of any camp we looked at (truly gourmet) and wonderful chalets. <BR> <BR>You can find web sites for both. <BR> <BR>Kavey

Old Jul 8th, 2001, 10:48 PM
Anna

Not in South Africa - but Tena Tena and Nsefu in Zambia are IMHO as good as safaris get. Beautiful (but not OTT) accommodation, with excellent hospitality, an authentic bush experience (i.e. not a hotel in disguise), fantastic walks and one of the top guides in Africa - what more could you ask for?