Search

beach security kenya coast

Search this Thread

Old May 20th, 2006, 10:57 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
beach security kenya coast

hi all-

in planning i have come across warningf of beach assaults. i also heard first hand of someone's experience being robbed at gunpoint on a beach off the coast.

i think this sounds to me like something a lot more unusual than "usual precautions"."

can anyone enlighten me as to whether there are "safe" beaches or unsafe ones along the coast? i am now trying to narrow down my beach choices...i am considering the south frankly because it is further from somalia...is there logic to this?

i also thought it might be economical to rent a house instead of a hotel as well as affording a new experience- but am i inviting trouble this way?

residents/ frequent visitors/ long term visitors opinions especially valuable on this as i think one or two nights in a poshj resort is not what i will be doing, but rather would select something more low key and am truly worried that i am asking for trouble as female alone.

if it is that dangerous i'm thinking of skipping it completely.

kerikeri
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:18 AM
dlo

Your best bet in terms of everything would be Lamu.Being close to Somalia plays no factor in this.I would recommend flying and not driving to Lamu though.You can walk anywhere in Lamu at almost any time and you will be perfectly safe.
Old May 20th, 2006, 11:28 AM

Kerikeri,
There is no logic at all in feeling safer further away from Somalia. You’ll be perfectly safe in Lamu and on the map it looks very close to Somalia.

Don’t go on nighttime walks on the beach and I’d say you’ll be safe anywhere. I’ve taken a daytime nap on Galu Beach, south of Diani Beach, completely on my own and feeling very safe. A German lady who had been living there for 14 years went for a beach walk every day at 7 AM wearing a big fat gold necklace. Though she carried a big stick and was accompanied by a small dog.

Old May 20th, 2006, 11:45 AM

You aren’t inviting trouble by renting a house, but it doesn’t sound economical for one person.

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:03 PM
Original Poster

okay. thanks for that. i found a web site with home rentals and there wree one or two in the under $100 a night range. they were nothing fancy, but the idea of waking up to a palm tree and the ocean was so appealing...

most of these properties were in malindi? what do we think of malindi?

i'm a sit on the beach until the sun goes down kind of person-is it safe to do this in lamu? (yeah, i get it "east' africa = no sunset). but i would be very likely to get up super early and walk alone on a beach. is that a no-go option in kenya?

and yes, flying is my only way of getting over there. thanks again!
kerikeri
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:17 PM

I haven’t been to Malindi. I’ve heard that everyone speaks Italian there.

In Lamu I can recommend Yumbe House that’s 1100 shillings for a single with breakfast. It’s not on the beach though. http://www.lets-go-travel.net/?q=node/view/1989

And in Diani I can recommend Boko Boko. I paid 1800 shillings for a single with breakfast in 2004, but on this website it’s more expensive. http://www.bokoboko-kenya.de/entranceenglish.html

In Mombasa I recommend the New Palm Tree, 1044 shillings for a single with breakfast in 2004.

If you want to stay on the beach and consider “under $100” inexpensive you could try Coral Cove Cottages in Tiwi. It looks like a really nice place.
http://www.coralcove.tiwibeach.com/

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:32 PM

There’s no beach in Lamu Town, but staying in Shela I’d say it would be safe to sit on the beach until the sun went down if you were close to the village with people around. I walked alone on the beach in Diani, but not super early. Just ask local people what’s safe and not. Opinions will vary.

Old May 20th, 2006, 12:39 PM
dlo

Watamu is only minutes from Malindi and you can certainly walk on the beach here.The beach here is as good as it gets and the beach boys are licensed here making it much more hassle free.There are plenty of boat captains in Lamu that can take you to Manda beach where you can spend as much time as you like including overnights complete with beach bbq.
Old May 20th, 2006, 12:54 PM

If you stay on Manda Beach you’ll have a sunset view. Diamond Beach Village looks nice, but I don’t know their rates. http://www.diamondbeachvillage.com/
Though it’s not the same kind of beach as in Diani etc.

Old May 20th, 2006, 02:31 PM
Original Poster

great. thanks so much for the hotels recs. i guess i was thinking africa= expensive based on botswana and south africa, but it seems your dollar goes much further in kenya.

i will look those up. what an fun way to spend a day! and such great service on this board! i am most grateful.
kerikeri
Old May 20th, 2006, 06:16 PM
Original Poster

nyamera-

that can't exist! that boko boko is completely my style! thank you. i hope they have a room for me. i love seeing animals and i love staying someplace small and family-like.

i'll let you know what they say about the rate.
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:19 AM
Original Poster

sad news nyamera-
bokoboko is closed for now.
but it did look lovely. cherish your memories.
kerikeri
Old May 21st, 2006, 07:40 AM
Original Poster

i found this scary:

http://www.tnr.com/doc.mhtml?i=20040...s=hammer012604

it's about how the guys whe blew up the mombassa hotel hid out on lamu and the tensions between lamu's poor and those of us who visit there. did anyone else notice this while in lamu?

Old May 21st, 2006, 08:39 AM
dlo

Lamu is the friendliest place i have ever been to.I would much rather spend my time on safari or a mountain but Lamu is the one beach destination i plan on returning to.The only time i saw any resentment was towards some guy flying his helicopter around the island.He apparantly has tourists stay on his boat and the only time they see Lamu town is from his helicopter from which he flaunts his wealth and these tourists contribute nothing to the locals.I really think you have nothing to worry about in Lamu and as long as you are alert the rest of the coast should be fine.
Old May 21st, 2006, 08:49 AM

Kerikeri,
Sad to hear that Boko Boko is closed. :'(

I managed to read the article without subscribing. It’s a bit old and now the Kenyan tourist industry is booming. It does sound creepy having FBI agents sneaking around, but unless you’re Arab looking - and could be mistaken for an Al Qaeda member, kidnapped and taken to a torture camp for a couple of years – I wouldn’t worry too much. Lamu is a very relaxed place and I can’t think of anywhere where you would be safer. I think you should ask for Captain Abdul as soon as you set your foot on Lamu. ;-)

Old May 21st, 2006, 09:16 AM

I remembered you are going in June and Diamond Beach Village is closed then. If you want to stay close to the beach, you can stay in Shela. Maybe at Stopover Guest House. http://www.lamuhomes.com/hotelStopOverGuest.htm

June is very soon. How are your safari plans developing?
Old May 21st, 2006, 01:01 PM
Jed

kerikeri - Are you from NZ or just like the monicker?
Old May 21st, 2006, 04:30 PM
Original Poster

working backwards:
jed, you have found me out. i am a kiwi in heart only. loved my epynomous town and wish i could hike that trail every day of my life.

nyamera and dlo (are you jlo's sister?)i spent the afternoon at the bookstore (odd no fodors guide) and got even more confused. maybe i'll just move to kenya.

i did not yet receive replies from jan goss's friend nor africa point nor e-gnu and many emails bounced back from air kenya so the safari aspecthas gone nowhere except in my having a clearer head about places i do not need to see.

one question- maybe this should be on the other thread though: will the game drives be included in my lodgings? when i went to some of the consolidator web sites, they seem to discuss board but not activities.

it's okay if i have to suss this out for myself- the lodges in question were the larger places in mara and amboseli, not the boutique camps.

as for lamu, that web site has so many great choices, i will take some time and click through. all look lovely, i think the flight itself will be a deal breaker, but we'll see.

thank you again!
kerikeri

Old May 21st, 2006, 04:57 PM

Yes kerikeri, if you book through a "consolidator" site you have to be very clear whether you are booking accommodation only or a package. In my limited experience full board accommodation is usually what is being offered, unless it states otherwise. Depending on where you are going this can mean quite a lot of extra expense organising transport to do things. So, it would be fine for Lamu or Nairobi but not very good for the Masaai Mara.
Old May 21st, 2006, 06:52 PM

kerikeri,
I've also been having problems emailing my tour operator in Kenya the past week (emails bouncing back, etc.), so there may be some issues with email service in Kenya in general right now. I would just keep trying. Wait a day or two and send another if you don't receive a reply.

Lodges and camps usually have two sets of rates - full board and game drive package. If you're flying to the Mara, you need to book the game drive package. If you book both air and accomodations through a tour operator, this is understood and automatically included. I've never seen a tour operator quote air and accomodations but no game drives. But if you're just looking at nightly rates at lodges and camps, then you do need to clarify whether these rates are full board or game drive package.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Do Not Sell or Share My Personal Information -