Beach Destination to Pair with Safari Trip

Dec 13th, 2004, 02:42 PM
Original Poster

Beach Destination to Pair with Safari Trip

My husband and I are thinking of going to Kenya next December for safari. We'd like to include a week at a beach destination, but I'm having trouble picking one and I'm sure there are lots of wonderful places I don't know about. We want to relax on a beautiful beach with great snorkeling. It shouldn't be more than 5 hours flight from Nairobi. Right now we're thinking about the Seychelles, but I thought I'd see if anyone out here had other suggestions. Thanks!
Dec 14th, 2004, 05:00 AM
z

Consider spending a week in Zanzibar. Seychelles is overrated. We also loved Mauritius
Dec 14th, 2004, 05:01 AM
sandi

Right there off the coast of (and belonging to) Kenya you might want to consider the area of Lamu Island - check out Manda Bay or Kiwayu for accommodations. Rates will run about the same or a bit less then Banyan Tree or Lemuria on the Seychelles, but the flight costs and time is way less (about an hour versus 3-hrs).

Or you can fly to Zanzibar where you have a few options. Zanzibar island itself, spend a few days in Stone Town and for beach you can think about Mnemba Island. Mnemba is off the coast of Zanzibar (by short boat ride), private and in the price range of $500-$600/pn/pp, and all inclusive including snorkling and diving gear (tanks). There is also Pemba Island (sister island to Zanzibar) with one lux resort - Fundu Lagoon. For something completely different you might consider Mafia Island a short flight from Dar-es-Salaam Zanzibar. Here you have two places to consider - Kinasi Lodge or Pole Pole, less expensive then the others, but some of the best diving anywhere.

KLM will get you in/out of NBO, and in/or of JRO (Kilimanjaro) Tanzania. While BA will get you in/out of NBO Kenya and Dar-es-Salaam Zanzibar. As an alternative you can consider Emarites Air out of Dubai which has a few flights a day in/out NBO which is also a lovely stop-off after safari with great hotels, beaches and shopping, shopping and more shopping - duty free!

Dec 14th, 2004, 09:03 AM
Original Poster

Thank you all for the great info! What attracted me to the Seychelles was the white sand and turquoise water. Do the destinations you listed (i.e. Zanzibar island, etc) have a similar appearance?
Dec 14th, 2004, 09:14 AM
z

Steph, Zanzibar is so heavenly beautiful with its crystal clear blue water. We hope to return there again and again. mauritius is another story. Gorgeous beaches and so many of them, you just have to chose the one that will suits your needs. I don't know anything about Lamu Island but I am going to google right now. Who knows maybe we are going to include this island in our next itinerary. I wish Sandi wrote more about her experiences there. Good luck and let us know
Dec 14th, 2004, 01:22 PM
sandi

Steph - yes, white beaches and turqoise waters in East Africa. We did Lamu way back on our first trip in '96. I just wanted beach, while partner did the water things. At that time we stayed at Peponis, which was lovely and is still there. Both Manda Bay and Kiwayu are in the vicinity and are new, so don't have personal experience. Do a Google seach and you will find information on both of these resorts. I mention these as they are comparable to what you could find in the Seychelles.

On my next trip in '98, we did a week in the Seychelles after safari, and loved every day we spent there. The beaches were lovely and that turquoise water is amazing. At that time the Banyan Tree and Lemuria hadn't been built, nor was North Island with it's own resort. While in the Seychelles, we spent 5-days on Praslin Island and 2-days on Mahe. We found it was easier to do day-trips from Praslin then from Mahe. One day we did the trip to La Digue Island. The culture here is what would be considered Creole - African/French, though there is a potpourri of everyone on the islands.

The islands off the coast of East Africa are Swahili and Muslim in culture, with a bit of everything else thrown in. There are lots of choices off the coasts of both countries - the reason those I mentioned above. You just have to choose which fits for you.

Search this Thread