Search

Looking for Canechick

Search this Thread

Old Aug 19th, 2005, 05:25 AM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for Canechick

Canechick if you're still around, I'd love to ask you some questions about your trip. I don't remember when you're traveling, but I, too, am looking at an ATR trip that includes Mahale. Answer here, and we can go from there. (If you don't mind!)

Thanks!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 09:54 AM

Cooncat - just got back from Kenya/Tanzania - I am so depressed to be back to "civilization"...I will be posting a trip report soon. My ATR trip is next - can't wait until next June - Botswana for 3 weeks... heaven.
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:29 AM

Canechick,

When (and where) will you be in Botswana? I'll be there next June as well, and I posted my itinerary while you were gone to see if any other Fodorites would overlap with me in the camps. My itinerary is

In 20 June out 24 June - Duma Tau (Linyanti Game Reserve)
In 24 June out 28 June - Little Vumbura (Okavango Delta)
In 28 June out 3 July - Mombo (main camp)
In 3 July out 5 or 6 July - Vic Falls (lodge TBA)

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:53 AM
Original Poster

Canechick, I know how you feel. I was utterly depressed for weeks after I returned from my first trip to France. I realized after I posted my message above that you had already left. When you get your bearings, please post a report...even a few tidbits. I esp. would love to hear about Mahale.

Are you already booked with ATR? Are you interested in sharing lodging in Bots next year? (Sorry Julian ~ I have to ask!)

Welcome back!
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 10:57 AM

Don't worry Sharon -- ask away! If you're both in the US, maybe you could meet beforehand, which would be ideal.

Did you get my emails?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Aug 29th, 2005, 11:05 AM
Original Poster

Julian - There is no need to meet, really! Everyone likes me.

Seriously, yes, I did get your mail, and I will certainly respond. I got my e-mail hooked up this morning but now I'm at work, so shouldn't even be on this forum, but you know how it goes...been away all weekend, so I had to see what's new. I did receive word from Zambia....

I'll be in touch~
Old Sep 1st, 2005, 05:26 PM

Cooncat & Jasher - I booked my trip through ATR back in June 05. The itinerary is:

Depart MIA 6/11/06 Arrive Joburg 6/13/06
6/13 - 6/15 - Stanleys Camp - Highlight will be the ele interaction
6/16 - 6/19 - Macatoo Camp - Horseback safari - can't wait for that!
6/20 - 6/21 - Duba Plains Camp
6/22 - 6/24 - Lebala Camp
6/24 - 6/26 - Savuti Camp
6/27 - 6/28 - Tongabezi Lodge - Zambia
6/29 - 6/30 - Sindabezi Island - Zambia
6/30 - Start back home to MIA

I would love to meet some Fodorites and hope to work out some future travel with other solo travelers - the right travel companions can make a trip a real treat! I had a real interesting moment in Kenya where I was actually asked "what is wrong with you - why are you alone - you seem very nice..." All I could think to do was dive for the cognac and try to be nice...
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:40 AM

Hello,

Bugger! It looks like we will just miss one another -- I'm leaving from DumaTau just as you're arriving at Savuti, and you leave Vic Falls a couple of days before I arrive.

I just got a quote from Tongabezi for their single rates -- the supplement is 40%! I'd love to stay there, but 40% on top of their rates is too much -- my credit cards are already begging for mercy. What sort of rate did you get from them?

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 03:52 AM

Hello,

Interestingly, I've never encountered a question like the one you were asked in Kenya -- people have always reacted very positively to finding out I was on my own. They usually said something about it being good to take time for yourself and recharge from stressful Western life. I don't know if it's a cultural difference (I haven't been to Kenya) or if it's a male/female difference, or if it was just a random occurrence. I probably would have gone for the cognac too, though!

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 06:59 AM

Jasher - my Tongabezi rate is $688 per day - gulp. But I really wanted to stay there. The single supps really hurt sometimes don't they!
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:12 AM

Canechick and Jasher,
In Kenya people constantly tell me they find it VERY strange that I’m travelling on my own.
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 07:21 AM
Original Poster

I've traveled quite a bit on my own with no problems...in Greece at a little cafe they gave me a free dessert! (Probably felt sorry for me.) I love solo travel...but mealtime is probably the worst. Hopefully on a safari this won't be an issue. Solo safari-ers: Have you been welcomed into your group OK?
Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:01 AM
bwanamitch

Sharon,
maybe you should have a look at this thread:
http://www.fodors.com/forums/threads...p;tid=34651510

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 08:25 AM
Original Poster

Thanks Bwana. Actually, I read that thread awhile back and forgot about it. I'll have to be sure and:
1) Get my big (ish) white lens out right away.
2) Demand to have my own vehicle at all times.
3) Make sure I have a phone so I can call my friends and let them hear the sounds of the animals.
4) Drink booze all day so that I need to pee every 10 minutes...
5) Talk as loudly as I can with everyone on the vehicle...since I really won't be given my own.

Seriously some good things to remember in that thread...but oh, how we love to digress! ;-)

Old Sep 2nd, 2005, 01:08 PM

$688 per day -- ! No wonder they say Tongabezi is worth getting married for -- the pricing would scare most single people away!

You'll have to let us know if it was worth it. Are you staying in a cottage, or one of the 'houses'? I really like the look of the Dog House...

Cheers,
Julian
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:26 AM

Julian: I have not made up my mind yet - supposedly as the trip gets closer ATR will work with me to ensure I get my choice of cottage or house - I guess for me going solo - the cottage would probably be better - but the houses look pretty neat too - ATR has video on their website. Personally, I like the sunken tub...nothing like a good soak and watching the river go by. If you know of anyone who has been there - I would love to hear their opinions. I will be sure to take lots of pix of every cottage and House I can get access to...
Old Sep 6th, 2005, 08:39 AM

I think Rocco has been there -- there was something about it in one of his trip reports.

Cheers,
Julian