Fodor's Travel Talk Forums

Fodor's Travel Talk Forums (https://www.fodors.com/community/)
-   Africa & the Middle East (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/)
-   -   Bateleur Camp at Kichwa Tembo (https://www.fodors.com/community/africa-and-the-middle-east/bateleur-camp-at-kichwa-tembo-685619/)

Dr_Andrea Mar 6th, 2007 07:34 PM

Bateleur Camp at Kichwa Tembo

I have been so busy that I haven't had a chance to respond to previous posts. Hubby wants to do Rwanda and then safari. Travel agent recommended Bateleur Camp. What are your thoughts? Any better options? We will be there in January 2008. TIA.

sandi Mar 7th, 2007 04:33 AM

Because January isn't migration season, where you stay does have to be all that specific.

There are other lovely 5* camps you can consider in addition to Bateleur -

Check out:
Explorer Camp (on the rivers)
Il Moran (the expensive Governor's Camps camp)
Naibor Camp (on the rivers)
Olonana (not far from Bateleur, an A&K property)
Ol Seki (new and quite unique)
Richard's Camp
Saruni Camp
Serian Camp

Marija Mar 7th, 2007 05:11 AM

We were at Bataleur in September and enjoyed it. However, if you want an INCREDIBLE safari experience go with CC Africa's Tanzania under Canvas: luxury tents in the wild, wonderful food and a real feeling of being in Africa.

sandi Mar 7th, 2007 05:27 AM

TUC is in Tanzania, not Kenya!

Dr_Andrea Mar 10th, 2007 02:30 PM

Any other opinions? Did anyone else stay here?

moremiles Mar 10th, 2007 03:46 PM

We are staying at both Bateleur and Explorer in Nov. and I plan to write my first trip report but that will probably be too late for you to book, won't it?

climbhighsleeplow Mar 10th, 2007 10:37 PM

"Better" is always a relative term. Sine we don't know what your interests and style of travel are, it is not easy to recommend a camp.

I have stayed at Bateleur and most other camps in the Mara or at least visited nearly ALL!

To me, Serian Camp has most of the elements for an exclusive experience.

Private vehicle just for the two of you, very attentive staff, very knowledgeable guides, a combination of main camp and fly-camping options, night-drives, day drives, walks, Maasai interaction and a great location on the Mara River from where you can drive in all directions. The fireplace in the lounge, the large selection in the bar and the private dinner tables in various areas around the lounge are all very special.

And then you have the open-tubs looking over the Mara for very romantic evenings!

For me the private car is a huge plus as well.

Dollar-for-dollar and in terms of overall amenities, it is more exlusive than Bateleur IMO.

Mara Explorer also gets my vote above Bateleur. Better location and every bit as luxurious if not more so.

In January, you have to be careful in the Mara so to not restrict your game-viewing. From the Bateleur area it is very long drives (either to the north via a populated area, or the long road south via past the Serena) to the more open (shorter-grass) areas where you will find most of the game and predators.