Bateleur Air - Sabi Sands and the Timbivati

Old Sep 12th, 2010, 03:50 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bateleur Air - Sabi Sands and the Timbivati

I recently got back from South Africa and found a new way to get to both the Sabi Sands and Timbivati via chartered air. In the past Fedair has been the only reasonable choice. Bateleur Air has now recently added flights to these locations.

Their prices are lower than Fedair. The planes are as nice or nicer and the lounge is also great. They will also pick up passengers directly from certain nearby hotels instead of having to go back to Joberg airport for pick up.

I have heard of some recent horror stories about Fedair prices related to charging for extra luggage. For me with lots of camera equipment that is a concern. Fedair charged one of my friends more for camera equipment transport then they did for the passengers flying. Something is very wrong with that !

I strongly suggest you check out Bateleur and either have your travel agent or lodge utilize their services.

Mike

MIke
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 04:59 PM

Hey Mike, knew you were gone, welcome back from safari.

You were only at Sabi Sand, and, also in Timbavati? Which camps again? Get any good photos? You have lots of experience with camps there so your updates/additions/news would be much appreciated. I am starting serious thinking about my safari maybe in May-June 2011 in those areas.

Bateleur, what is full name, googling results were strange. Seems like I heard the name before and now good to know they are also in that area of SA. SAA used to fly to Sabi Sand but I think they stopped about year ago and Fed Air came in at twice the cost. SAA still flys JNB to Hoedspruit (HDS), gateway to Timbavati for $130 each way. Did you have Bateleur beat that rate? How about between Timbavati and Sabi Sand?

Anyway, sure you're looking forward to going back to work tomorrow Where you can start planning next years safari

regards - tom
Old Sep 12th, 2010, 05:26 PM
Original Poster

Hiya Tom,

I was not in the Timbivati this trip, but I do know that Bateleur Air flies there. The web site is http://www.bateleurcharter.co.za/index.html and the lodge can book flights. They have been in private charter business for a long time, but have now started scheduled flights. If you fly to HDS it will be cheaper flight wise, but then you have to factor in the cost of the car transfer and time to see if it is worth it for you.

I will be doing a trip report soon. I want to get a lot of my pictures uploaded before I do the report. I was at Djuma, Londolozi and Lion Sands on this trip.

As for tomorrow..... I am taking it off. I need at least one more day. The jet lag is a killer !

So far I have some shots up at

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/londolozi_2010

and

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/djuma_2010

I took 8000+ shots, so I have a bit of work ahead of me.

Mike
Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:52 AM

FEDAIR becoming a real "airline" became a nuisance recently especially with the luggage and hand luggange restrictions.

In the earlier days it was nice and fuzzy free but now FEDAIR is just mirroring the "big" ones.........and all the anger involved with it.

For me BATELEUR is the one to fly from JNB to SS not because of the (rather slightly) cheaper fares but solely because they are more relaxed!

Old Sep 13th, 2010, 12:55 AM

Michael - thx for sharing the pics! they are AWESOME!

Old Jan 18th, 2011, 04:43 PM

Mike,

I wish we had read your post prior to our recent trip to SA. We received quotes from Bateleur and a company called Chilipepper Charters. Unfortunately we went with CP once they agreed to match the Bateleur package. Big mistake! We had a horrible experience with their lack of customer service and will be flying Bateleur from here on out.

Thanks for your great insight.

Cheers,
Andrew
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 06:52 PM
Original Poster

Sorry to hear that Andrew. Many of the lodges now use Bateleur because of their better pricing and excellent planes. One of the planes I flew in, sat 6 passengers, twin engine and had plush leather seats! The other plane was more of a standard flight similar to planes that Fedair also flies, but it was still comfortable enough.

PS. pictures from Lion Sands also up now too

http://www.pbase.com/mytmoss/lion_sands_2010
Old Jan 18th, 2011, 08:17 PM

Wow. Your photos are gorgeous. I have yet to even see a civet, let alone get a photo. Thank you for posting them all!!
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 01:08 AM

Lot of nice photos there Mike, thanks, fun looking.

I thought Chilipepper charters were bought out some time ago, didn't know they're still flying. I flew them between camps in 2007 and is was fine, thank goodness. Was a little single engine four seat plane.

You started any safari planning for 2011?

Lucky me, I'm off to Tanzania in 24 days (Feb 13)!!!

regards - tom
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:29 AM

Great tip. But just a question; why not just take a regular SAA flight to HDS?

We always do that. Never even thought of any other airlines. The first lodge comes & picks you up. The last one brings you back. The transfers inbetween are done with Eastgate & the likes.

Is there so much difference between SAA and Fedair/Bateleur?

Thx,

J.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 10:46 AM

Jochen, that is a great point. Often the drive from a camp to the private airstrip is less than 10 minutes, which means no missed game drives. For example, I flew Bateleur a few months ago (chartered flight for me and my guests) and we landed and were off and running.
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 11:19 AM

I'm confused about which reserves and camps we are talking about. As Andy says important - no missed game drives-. You have to know details about the camps and reserves and available airstrips involved. One size does not fit all

regards - tom
Old Jan 19th, 2011, 06:27 PM
Original Poster

SAA does not fly into the reserves. The closest airport is around 2 hours from Sabi Sands. Both FedAir and Bateleur provide a great convenience. I have flown them both, but now prefer Bateleur.

Mike
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 09:25 PM

We flew SAA Joberg to Hoedspruit and the flight was delayed 2 hours.We only made our afternoon game drive because the ranger turned back to pick us up.Our scheduled flight was supposed to leave at 1pm and the one leaving at 10 that morning was cancelled so they had to arrange a larger plane to accomodate both flights.It appears to be a relatively common occurence.Next time we will fly in to the private airstrip via Bateleur.The drive from Eastgate to the Timbavati is pretty easy but we did not appreciate starting our safari under so much pressure whether or not we would make that first drive.Anyone had similar experiences with SAA?
Old Jan 20th, 2011, 10:00 PM

We have flown that SAA route JNB-HDS probably 8 times between the two of us over last four years. Never a problem.

regards - tom