based in Cape Town & winelands tours?

Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 4th, 2005, 03:37 PM
Original Poster

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I plan on spending 4 nights in Cape Town (recommendations for moderately priced hotels welcome!!) and wonder if, instead of moving after two nights in Cape Town to be based in the winelands (Stellenbosch or Franschhoek), I can arrange day trips to the winelands? Please help!!
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 03:36 AM
sandi

You can move into the winelands area, but we found it just as easy to spend our 4-days in Capetown and do a day trip to the winelands. We've visited winelands/wine countries in many of our travels around the world and here in the States; our interest was the architecture in the area so a day was certainly sufficient to accomplish this. We found that by staying in CPT proper, it was easier to travel to the point, and north for shark cage diving, as well the day in the winelands. It depends on your interest and whether you want to move hotels.

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 04:11 AM

123 Susie,

I would agree with Sandi in that in 4 days I would suggest that you stay in one establishment in Cape Town using it as a base and exploring both the Winelands and Cape Town simultaneously. This can be done quite easly and by doing this you would also eliminate the extra hassle of having to pack twice. The time you will save by not doing this will allow you the opportunity to see more and in 4 days you should certainly be able to do so.

In terms of moderately priced hotels I ask the question why dont you rather elect to stay in a guesthouse in Cape Town? I always recommend that my visitors stay in guesthouses and not hotels and I do this because owners of South African guesthouses are generally marvelous hosts. The ones that I use as a tour guide definitely are as such. Bear in mind that guesthouses represent excellent accommodation that is much more personalized at MUCH better rates than hotels. These rates generally also include a fantastic breakfast. At
most guesthouses you enjoy this meal in the wonderful, friendly breakfast
room. When you are in a guesthouse you have total freedom of movement. It
is a wonderful free and easy style of holidaying. What also is most
important is that because of the size of guesthouses you will generally not be in amongst the hordes of tourists as you might only have a couple of other
guests at the guesthouse while you are there. Thus you obtain great
accommodation, personalised attention as well as wonderful value in a very
safe place to stay when you reside in guesthouses and that is why I
recommend them so highly.

In terms of recommendations pleae tell me what is important to you when it comes to accommodation eg cost, views, facilities, size of rooms, etc in ranking order and thereafter I, and I am sure others on this board will make relevant recommendations to you. If you still feel that you want to stay in a hotel as opposed to a guesthouse I will also make relevant recommendations.

Hope this helps.

Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa

Old Mar 5th, 2005, 05:57 PM
Original Poster

Well, Selwyn, we meet again. Thanks for your advice. What, exactly, is a guest house? Is it similar to a B&B (bed and breakfast)? Any recommendations??? I'd love a sea view but I really don't want to spend more than 100. I prefer to spend money on activities and meals than on a bed and bathroom. I want a safe place that is convenient for walking. Finally, how would I arrange a day trip to Stellenbosch or Franschhoek? I've been told to stay away from the train - but it looks so convenient.
Old Mar 5th, 2005, 11:13 PM

123Susie,

A guesthouse is effectively a B&B. What I want to point out is that when staying at a guesthouse you have you own room and own bathroom. Many people think that a guesthouse represents the sharing of a common bathroom with other visitors. This would be wrong. Some guesthouses are self catering venues meaning that they do not serve breakfast however they do provide facilities such as a microwave to make your own foods etc.

As far as price is concerned a lot depends on when you will be visiting Cape Town however to find something under $100 per room that is close to the sea will not be easy.

I would suggest that you take a look at the following websites:

Craigrownie Guesthouse
----------------------
http://www.craigrowniehse.co.za/

Wonderful venue. Well appointed. Friendly staff. Near the sea. A short taxi or bus ride away from all. Away from all the action yet close to it. Great walks along the Atlantic Ocean promenade. Partial far off sea views in some of the rooms. A new facility at the guesthouse is a free broadband internet connection.

Avanti
------
www.avanti.co.za

Tried and tested ranking amongst the best value for money in Cape Town. Great walks along the Atlantic Ocean promenade. Partial sea views in some rooms. HIGHLY recommended.

The Bay Atlantic
----------------
http://www.thebayatlantic.com/Default.htm

Smallish rooms but wonderfully located in a safe area in Camps Bay. Magnificent sea views and fabulous swimming pool. Hosts are also very friendly

Blue Waters
-----------
http://www.bluewaters.co.za/movie.html

Excellent value for money, well priced and situated close to Camps Bay. Partial sea views from some of the rooms. Very friendly hosts.

At all of tne above if you want to travel around then you will more than likley need to use the local taxi services which are efficient safe and reasonably priced that is if you wont be using car hire.

Day trips to the winelands can be done through various tour operators. If you want to go on private tours you could contact me to see if I could help you however I will more than likely pass you on to another tourguide as I am already heavily booked for 2005. If you want to go on a scheduled type tour may I suggest that you go look at the products offered at:

Hilton Ross - http://www.hyltonross.co.za/

Take 2 Tours - http://www.take2tours.co.za/

The above tour operators are very reliable when it comes to scheduled tours.

Btw there is no train that can be taken in a practical manner into the winelands which you could use to sightsee the area.

Hope all of the above helps to make your Cape Town stay a much happier one.

Selwyn Davidowitz
Very proudly part of the wonderful nation of South Africa